• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG and QDOS IR35 coverage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are we saying that the number of cases is relatively similar between QDOS and PCG? As well as the success rate?

And I assume the 1,300+ successes from QDOS were fully represented?

Comment

Originally posted by snappy View Post
      So are we saying that the number of cases is relatively similar between QDOS and PCG? As well as the success rate?

And I assume the 1,300+ successes from QDOS were fully represented?
      One says approx. 1300 vs 4, the other says approx. 1600 vs 6.

Can you really not compare those two sets of stats?

Comment

Yes, sorry - it was kind of rhetorical.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
          I don't get your point and I don't think you're reading what Qdos are saying. If they review your case and they don't think you have a hope of winning, then yes they can turn round and say "Just settle". What's the point in wasting everybody's time and money to arrive at the same conclusion months/years later?
          Rather like a criminal defence lawyer refusing legal representation to a client unless they plead guilty.

Which, AFAIK, isn't supposed to happen. The client can be strongly advised how to plead but walking away is not an option except in specific circumstances - simply rating the client's chances as low/zero is not enough.

Fwiw, I'd say the responses here so far from QDOS demonstrate a genuine commitment but I also think the answers were worth pressing for, even if psychocandy is just being a perpetual worrier.

Originally posted by captainham View Post
          One says approx. 1300 vs 4, the other says approx. 1600 vs 6.
          Could someone clarify whether those stats include any cases where the insurer has advised the contractor to cough up the tax instead of going to tribunal?

Comment

We use Qdos for tax enquiry/ professional expenses insurance for clients. We do bench test every few years.

True story a few years ago - this all took place in Indy

10 am - received a faxed application from client to take up insurance - we administer, Qdos underwrites.

11 am - the days post arrived, including a nitice of full enquiry into a clients tax affairs, dated two days earlier. We were registered office so received both copies.

Checked with HMRC, there was no way client could have known the enquiry was coming.

Contacted Qdos and posed the question, was the client covers given they had applied after HMRC had opened the enquiry, but before anyone had knowedge.

The answer came back very quickly, yes.

Speak as we find, Qdoses claims management has always been beyond fair, and exemplary.

I would confess to being netvous when Penninsula acquired them, as Penunsula's reputation is not good. A few years on there seems to have been no adverse effect,

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
              We use Qdos for tax enquiry/ professional expenses insurance for clients. We do bench test every few years.

True story a few years ago - this all took place in Indy

10 am - received a faxed application from client to take up insurance - we administer, Qdos underwrites.

11 am - the days post arrived, including a nitice of full enquiry into a clients tax affairs, dated two days earlier. We were registered office so received both copies.

Checked with HMRC, there was no way client could have known the enquiry was coming.

Contacted Qdos and posed the question, was the client covers given they had applied after HMRC had opened the enquiry, but before anyone had knowedge.

The answer came back very quickly, yes.

Speak as we find, Qdoses claims management has always been beyond fair, and exemplary.

I would confess to being netvous when Penninsula acquired them, as Penunsula's reputation is not good. A few years on there seems to have been no adverse effect,
              The scheme operated by my accountant via accountax is you're on cover the moment the accountant recieves payment whether that be cash, cheque (so long as not post dated), credit \ debit card etc, etc.

So, I'd expect QDOS to say he was on cover.

But sorry, I cant believe someone was 'on cover' because you received a faxed application and no money. No insurance company puts anyone 'on cover' for just receipt of an application.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Credit card details on the faxed application

We collect and pay Qdos for the sub premium in due course.

Comment

Just to clarify something, Qdos sold the accountant tax enquiry insurance schemes to Peninsula in 2007. However, we didn't sell any of the contractor/freelancer part of the business - this is still completely owned by Qdos.

They retained the branding 'Qdos Taxwise' for a number of years and obviously some of our staff moved over to Peninsula, hence the confusion.

So it's great to know that Jessica's experiences have been good, but that is with a completely separate business.
                  Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
                    Just to clarify something, Qdos sold the accountant tax enquiry insurance schemes to Peninsula in 2007. However, we didn't sell any of the contractor/freelancer part of the business - this is still completely owned by Qdos.

They retained the branding 'Qdos Taxwise' for a number of years and obviously some of our staff moved over to Peninsula, hence the confusion.

So it's great to know that Jessica's experiences have been good, but that is with a completely separate business.
                    The experience posted was with "old" Qdos. I.e. you guys

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                      The experience posted was with "old" Qdos. I.e. you guys
                      Oh, that's good!
                      Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
                      X