• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG and QDOS IR35 coverage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Are you 100% sure about that? My recollection (and it could be wrong) is that Abbey would accept certain reviews from others, such as a full review from QDOS or B&C that includes working practices. Best to give Abbey a call if you have another review to hand.
    Interesting. Saying that the free QDOS review is just a basic one isnt it? gotta pay for full review.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

It seems to me you are concentrating to much on the cost of things rather than the value as stated above...

Been with the PCG / Abbey Tax and although I always grumble at the cost in the grand scheme its nothing and lets me sleep a little easier at night... If it ever kicked off I think I would rather have the PCG fighting my corner personally than one of the other companies. Based on not much more than gut feeling and PCGs track record.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Interesting. Saying that the free QDOS review is just a basic one isnt it? gotta pay for full review.
        As I said, I could be wrong, but that is my recollection. Yes, you get three contract reviews "free" if you purchase PI/PL from QDOS, but you have to pay for the full review, which includes working practices. I think I paid 90 quid last time for the full review.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          It seems to me you are concentrating to much on the cost of things rather than the value as stated above...

Been with the PCG / Abbey Tax and although I always grumble at the cost in the grand scheme its nothing and lets me sleep a little easier at night... If it ever kicked off I think I would rather have the PCG fighting my corner personally than one of the other companies. Based on not much more than gut feeling and PCGs track record.
          I think QDOS have got a pretty good name as well though.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            As I said, I could be wrong, but that is my recollection. Yes, you get three contract reviews "free" if you purchase PI/PL from QDOS, but you have to pay for the full review, which includes working practices. I think I paid 90 quid last time for the full review.
            Yep. I think you're right.

Comment

Im sure there a few people like me who, in the past, have paid for PCG but not repayments insurance through Abbey or QDOS.

Now that HMRC seem to be stepping up IR35 stuff, now might be a time to think about it. Although, there is still the opinion that investigations are still rare, and even if you get investigated, if you've got decent PCG or QDOS legal cover then chances are about 0.5% that you'll lose anyway.

But, anyway, here are the figures, for me at least, based on £100K contract (yes, I;m that poor).

Been at current client for 18 months BTW.

Costs with Abbey.

Payable now to cover previous 18 months.
              Contract review £175+VAT
              Premum £455+VAT

TOTAL £630+VAT

For the coming year.
              Premium £305+VAT
              Assuming still at same client - £60+VAT every 6 months for mini-review

TOTAL £425+VAT

If its a New client - £175+VAT for review (If theres new client premium would still be the same because you pay pro-rata for years cover).

TOTAL £480+VAT

Plus you've got to pay for PCG Plus. (£220+VAT per year).

Costs with QDOS

Previous years - Nil
              This year - £360+VAT

Only drawback with QDOS is you probably need to pay for a year on the end after leaving contracting to cover any subsequent enquiries.

QDOS is a fair bit cheaper. Dont get me wrong (and I'm sure Malvy is going to steam in here) I'd like to stay with PCG and might still do even if I go with QDOS but its a pity the two dont integrate a bit better.

Bottom line - PCG plus and Abbey Tax this year would cost me £1280+VAT, Abbey would cost me £360 (£480 if I still wanted PCG standard).

Of course, if you dont need cover for previous contracts the Abbey price is a bit lower. But QDOS cover is on claims made basis and would cover.
              Last edited by psychocandy; 25 October 2012, 09:53.

Comment

Before Malvolio comes along and kicks us, I'm inclined to agree fully.

FWIW, I still intend to keep PCG anyway, for some of the other benefits, plus I also like to feel very slightly tthat I'm 'doing my part' by supporting them.

Come on Malvy, bring on the kickin'

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post

FWIW, I still intend to keep PCG anyway, for some of the other benefits, plus I also like to feel very slightly tthat I'm 'doing my part' by supporting them.

yep. I tending towards PCG and QDOS - £480 to be honest.

The pity is that if I'm unfortunate enough to get reviewed, Id then have to ignore PCG and go straight to QDOS. If I didnt, but went to PCG then my QDOS cover would be invalid in the unlikely event I lost.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Costs with QDOS

Previous years - Nil
                    This year - £360+VAT
                    Minor point, but there's no VAT on insurance premiums. Just insurance premium tax at 6%, but that's included in the £360.
                    Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post

Kick what? It's your money (and a small percentage of your contract value over a year...) and PCG membership is about a hell of a lot more than insurance, as I'm sure you agree.

But all I keep saying is that it's not a case of PCG or QDOS, it's a case of PCG anyway, and QDOS/Abbey/Accountax/whoever if you really think you need two pairs of braces and a couple of extra belts to keep up a pair of elasticated trousers. I don't, but I'm not you.

If your contract is sound, and either you know enough to assess that yourself or you get it reviewed by someone who does, you aren't going to lose an IR35 case. If it isn't, the only sensible choice is to pay up or go brolly; only a fool would do anything else.

The other point to ponder is that nobody's yet claimed on the penalties insurance. You can be damned sure that if HMG succeed in a few IR35 cases and they are paid off with an insurance policy, that insurance option will very quickly be removed. HMG will not tolerate people insuring against what they see as criminal activity (and IR35 is a law after all). They may even take the view that paying out £1000 to ignore a £50k tax bill is evasion.

But first they have to win.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X