• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home on Fridays?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home on Fridays?

What's the consensus on working from home on Fridays, or doing a crammed 5 into 4 day week?

I'm about to take a contract a long way (350 miles) from home, can i take it for granted that i can probably blag this amount of flexibility?

Originally posted by Mupps View Post
    What's the consensus on working from home on Fridays, or doing a crammed 5 into 4 day week?

I'm about to take a contract a long way (350 miles) from home, can i take it for granted that i can probably blag this amount of flexibility?
    I had a gig in Aberdeen that lasted 9 months and I did this the whole time. It helped that the client closed early on a Friday so deal was I flew up Monday morning and home Thursday night with the proviso that I must have doen 35 of the 40 hours and then could WFH on Friday. It was fantastic as it meant I had a long weekend every week.

Comment

Go for it, good idea if you have to travel, or leave early on Friday and travel up on Monday arriving midday. What you want to avoid is travelling back on Sunday evening or get up at some really early hour on Monday, the best is to arrive late on Monday, so you can really relax at the weekend.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 8 May 2012, 13:33.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

You cannot take it for granted at all. Your travel arrangements are of no concern to the client at the end of the day, unless you have them by the short and curlies but do you know that?

That said it is possible to negotiate this type of flexibility in depending on your client. If they are a large corporate they will have a solid remote technology and WFH may be part of their working practices. If so then yes you can try negotiate it in. If you do however you are playing a game of risk with your contract. If it is between you and the next guy you could be shooting yourself in the foot. Question is, would you take the contract if you can't WFH on a Friday?

It is very situational so there are no hard and fast rules so have to think about what you are willing to put up with and how much you want the gig. If you want to WFH on Friday then stick it in early and hope. The other option, which I have taken in the past is to get the gig first, do some solid work and then ask for WFH when you have proven yourself. The problem here is they may say no which I was prepared for. Everytime I have asked they have been ok with it to be fair.

Certainly go for it but do not assume it is a given. More common nowadays yes but a given? no. We don't know your client, size, location or anything so would just be guessing if we gave you a firm answer.

If you are willing to name your client or at least its function and location other posters that have worked there could give you some insight.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You don't ask you don't get.

Start working there, get to know the lay of the land, prove your salt and show the client what a decent fella you are, then pop the question.

Comment

It depends on the client and their location. Clients in London seems to like WFH less than clients in other parts of the country. Generally, the more remote location of the clients office the more likely they be OK with you WFH.

Comment

Don't take it for granted, as others have said your travel arrangements are not their concern, current ClientCo doesn't allow contractors to WFH (good from an IR35 point, but a PITA really).

Did you drop the question in at the interview? What was the reaction?
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'd agree with NLUK - clients dont give a toss about your personal circumstances they just want the work done.

Also, I cant help thinking that trying to get this sorted at interview stage would put the client off a bit too? But then again if its a showstopper and you wouldnt take the gig if they made you do mon-fri in the office then why not bring it up.

What I wouldnt do it take a gig and assume I could WFH Friday because it might not all work out like that.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I always find it best to ask about starting \ finishing flexibility during the interview and, take nothing for granted about it being granted if I turn up and ask on the first day.

Myself, I prefer doing the 'weekly' hours in 4 days (easier in financials as the hours are usually 35 a week). Cramming 40 into 4 is do-able if like you, you are working away and have no daily travel otherwise I'd ask to WFH.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    I always find it best to ask about starting \ finishing flexibility during the interview and, take nothing for granted about it being granted if I turn up and ask on the first day.
                    I'm with BB here, ask up front so that there are no surprises.

Comment

Working...
                    X