• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Offshoring and IT market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offshoring and IT market

Hello, this is my first post in this forum.
    I´m not in the UK market but very interested in the state of the IT market in UK. I´m spanish working and living in Dublin. My question is...

Basically, outsourcing/offshoring is everything but new but in the last two years I readed a lot of articles telling that offshoring is destroying the UK IT industry. My question is, is it this bad? The outsourcing is easing or increasing?

To be honest with you, I´m a senior developer (Java market) and never had problems (even in Spain with 22% of people in the dole) to find a new position. At the moment I´m considering to stay in development or move myself into systems architecture or something similar and outsourcing is one of the keys to take this decision.

Anyway, many thans for your answers and thanks for this impressive web resource (contractor uk) If anyone need help to move to Ireland (or even Spain) feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Depends on the roles. I'm not having a problem. Even the outsourced stuff on this contract has been sourced back in house as too many mistakes were made in the off shoring.

My personal opinion is anything mundane has been outsources. Anything that requires (a) input from a UK based team or (b) the ability of the contractor to think is safe........for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Depends on the roles. I'm not having a problem. Even the outsourced stuff on this contract has been sourced back in house as too many mistakes were made in the off shoring.

My personal opinion is anything mundane has been outsources. Anything that requires (a) input from a UK based team or (b) the ability of the contractor to think is safe........for now.
      What´s your field?

Comment

As with everything else it depends on the demand of your skill set in the market, the market itself (which is not the best) your contacts and probably some degree your tenacity at creating opportunities for yourself (i.e. your ability to create your own luck).

Outsourcing is a global phenomenon so hardly think it's just the UK market going through it. It probably gets more coverage than Dublin because the market is comparatively bigger and more of it is going on, plus there is more globally oriented media coverage. However, I'd imagine off-shoring relative to market size is probably near constant levels with no one place being immune.

Comment

Originally posted by rambaugh View Post
          As with everything else it depends on the demand of your skill set in the market, the market itself (which is not the best) your contacts and probably some degree your tenacity at creating opportunities for yourself (i.e. your ability to create your own luck).

Outsourcing is a global phenomenon so hardly think it's just the UK market going through it. It probably gets more coverage than Dublin because the market is comparatively bigger and more of it is going on, plus there is more globally oriented media coverage. However, I'd imagine off-shoring relative to market size is probably near constant levels with no one place being immune.
          Outsourcing != offshoring. Offshoring is move the work from UK (e.g.) to India (e.g.). To be clear Bob agencies. Do you see big problems in the future?

I think that it´s only market conditions (cost cutting)... but I want to listen opinions.

Comment

Al mal tiempo buena cara

Comment

Originally posted by daogonza View Post
              Outsourcing != offshoring. Offshoring is move the work from UK (e.g.) to India (e.g.). To be clear Bob agencies. Do you see big problems in the future?

I think that it´s only market conditions (cost cutting)... but I want to listen opinions.
              My Client Co competes in both markets. From a cost perspective and having access to the internal figures I can tell you there is no more than £20 a day difference between having bob or rob run your system. So cost is no longer the single driving force. I think the next 10 years will be a mix of companies going round the cycle of outsourcing and insourcing. I can say that outsourcing is chaos behind the scenes and that there is an awfully good living to be made in the transition on or off shore..

A good friends runs a department that just completed a 64bit upgrade on their systems. They completed it in a few weeks while the previous outsourcing giant had consistently failed to even start the process in eight months...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                My Client Co competes in both markets. From a cost perspective and having access to the internal figures I can tell you there is no more than £20 a day difference between having bob or rob run your system. So cost is no longer the single driving force. I think the next 10 years will be a mix of companies going round the cycle of outsourcing and insourcing. I can say that outsourcing is chaos behind the scenes and that there is an awfully good living to be made in the transition on or off shore..
                I feel very uneasy making living that way ... but I agree that there is plenty of dough to be made.

A good friends runs a department that just completed a 64bit upgrade on their systems. They completed it in a few weeks while the previous outsourcing giant had consistently failed to even start the process in eight months...
                Can well believe that .... what timing have they planned and who is to blame ?
                If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by mos View Post
                  I feel very uneasy making living that way ... but I agree that there is plenty of dough to be made.

Can well believe that .... what timing have they planned and who is to blame ?
                  Down the pub on Friday I was chatting to a mate who works elsewhere and I jokingly suggested that the next phase will be to move from outsourcing back to IAAS using amazon or someone else to provide the infrastructure.

Following a phone call this morning his IT Director wants to meet me to discuss my proposal.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Down the pub on Friday I was chatting to a mate who works elsewhere and I jokingly suggested that the next phase will be to move from outsourcing back to IAAS using amazon or someone else to provide the infrastructure.

Following a phone call this morning his IT Director wants to meet me to discuss my proposal.
                    That was my last project!

Be careful with those darned requirements though and make sure that the Service offerings are much cookie cutter as you can make them.

And if any Dev PMs tell you that their environment is 'special, don't believe them...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X