• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Company accepted extension without permission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella Company accepted extension without permission

Hi all,

Just a quick question.... my other half is operating through an umbrella company and his contract ends in 4 weeks. A contract extension has been confirmed by the client.

He emailed the umbrella company asking if his extension paperwork had shown up, and if/when it does can they please call him as soon as they receive it.

The paperwork showed up at the umbrella, they've signed to confirm extension and sent it back to the client.

The issue is, he is not sure he wants to extend, which is why he told them to call him once they receive the extension. So they've signed an extension and sent it back to the client without his consent. Their excuse is they needed to send it back ASAP because the contract end date is very soon (4 weeks is soon and obviously not enough time to make a phone call??)

Maybe I'm an utter bonehead, but I would assume they would need to contact him to get an OK before signing anything - how do they know he wants to extend? How do they know he didn't want to try and re-negotiate the rate, or change terms, etc?

And what's his position if he ends up not wanting to extend in the end?

Blimey, if that is a quick one I would have to see a long question!!

It is his umbrella's problem not his. Signing on his behalf is tantamount to fraud. Make sure you have this situation documented in an email just in case.

Is it Client --> Agent--> Umbrella or are you direct?

It is the Umbrella's fault and problem to deal with. Someone is gonna get it, particularly if it puts the client at risk but there should be no issues.

First question to resolve is if your husband is going to extend. If he is then carry on and put it to bed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I know, I talk (and type) a lot (sorry)

He is client --> umbrella, no agency.

It is all documented via email...

Comment

Originally posted by girlfriday View Post
        I know, I talk (and type) a lot (sorry)

He is client --> umbrella, no agency.

It is all documented via email...
        Ok, so if he does extend apart from being very annoying there isn't an issue, except to send a very strongly worded mail to a senior manager at the umbrella explaining the situation.

Keep us informed about whether he will stay or not and what happens. Would be interesting to know.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi all,

Just a quick question.... my other half is operating through an umbrella company and his contract ends in 4 weeks. A contract extension has been confirmed by the client.

He emailed the umbrella company asking if his extension paperwork had shown up, and if/when it does can they please call him as soon as they receive it.

The paperwork showed up at the umbrella, they've signed to confirm extension and sent it back to the client.

The issue is, he is not sure he wants to extend, which is why he told them to call him once they receive the extension. So they've signed an extension and sent it back to the client without his consent. Their excuse is they needed to send it back ASAP because the contract end date is very soon (4 weeks is soon and obviously not enough time to make a phone call??)

Maybe I'm an utter bonehead, but I would assume they would need to contact him to get an OK before signing anything - how do they know he wants to extend? How do they know he didn't want to try and re-negotiate the rate, or change terms, etc?

And what's his position if he ends up not wanting to extend in the end?
          Yet another reason why you should just say 'No!' to brollies.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If its Parasol they think that you work for them, and that they and the client decide things.

Comment

Their excuse is they needed to send it back ASAP because the contract end date is very soon (4 weeks is soon and obviously not enough time to make a phone call??)
              What probably happened is the admin boy made a mess of the paperwork and they are to arrogant to admit their mistake so they are trying to do a cover up / bully job.

Email them and say that the contract extension has not been accepted until it's signed and demand that they clarify the situation with the client immediately.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

And it just keeps getting better....

After repeated emails, other half finally gets a manager on the phone (the payroll manager) and explains the situation.

No apology whatsoever, apparently it is their standard procedure to accept an extension that appears at the umbrella without contacting the contractor first (bollox!) and he should have followed his phone call instructing them not to do anything with the extension with an email to confirm. So basically blaming my other half for not sending them an email (apparently phone calls with specific instructions have no impact whatsoever)

Irritated beyond belief now, as other half has had an offer from another company, but is going to look like a kn*b because to his current client, it looks like he's already accepted the extension.

Grrrrrrr.......

Comment

It's the umbrella who will look like muppets once your husband has explained to the client; this situation is simple bullying and coersion. The problem is he isn't a business, he does work for these idiots.

I really wouldn't bother with them in future, he can drop them and go Ltd when he accepts a new contract.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

This situation shouldn't have arisen - your other half is an employee of the umbrella company and the contract extension will be business to business BUT the umbrella company should have made sure that your other half was available for the assignment before signing.
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X