• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Company accepted extension without permission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
    This situation shouldn't have arisen - your other half is an employee of the umbrella company and the contract extension will be business to business BUT the umbrella company should have made sure that your other half was available for the assignment before signing.
    While it may be technically correct that a contractor is on the payroll of an umbrella company, that doesn't mean that the contractor is an employee under the direction and/or control of the umbrella. Quite the opposite, the umbrella works for the contractor and they should do what they are told.

If an umbrella has overstepped their authority by accepting a contract renewal without the contractor's written permission then I'd make it clear to the umbrella (and client) that what happened was unacceptable and expect an apology from the umbrella. If the umbrella is too arrogant to accept that what they had done was wrong then I would take this as grounds for terminating the relationship with the umbrella.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      While it may be technically correct that a contractor is on the payroll of an umbrella company, that doesn't mean that the contractor is an employee under the direction and/or control of the umbrella. Quite the opposite, the umbrella works for the contractor and they should do what they are told.

If an umbrella has overstepped their authority by accepting a contract renewal without the contractor's written permission then I'd make it clear to the umbrella (and client) that what happened was unacceptable and expect an apology from the umbrella. If the umbrella is too arrogant to accept that what they had done was wrong then I would take this as grounds for terminating the relationship with the umbrella.
      Hey steady on Wanderer I was agreeing with you

I can't see why an umbrella company would sign a contractor without making sure the their employee was happy with the terms that he or she would be working under; all I was saying was that, as the contract is business to business it is the umbrella company that will sign it and not the individual.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
      X