• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting squeezed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting squeezed

I've been contracting in my current role for the past 17mths.

Due to the situation of economic uncertainty and cost-cutting across the financial services sector, many changes have happened to make it less favourable for me to continue on working for this employer.

A. contract extension changed from 6mth period to 3mth period.
    B. contract requires me to work the full length of the contract duration.
    C. 10% pay cut on daily rate across the company.
    D. the option of going permanent taken away and cancelled for the forseeable future.

Now my contract is up for renewal, I'm looking to improve my career prospects and rewards.

Question: On 3month contract durations, is it common to have a 1 month termination grace notice period; where either party can end their contract? I need this option to move on, as the flexibility to change jobs is easier.

What are the strategies used combat A, B, C and D?

Originally posted by NoPaddle View Post
    I've been contracting in my current role for the past 17mths.

Due to the situation of economic uncertainty and cost-cutting across the financial services sector, many changes have happened to make it less favourable for me to continue on working for this employer.

D. the option of going permanent taken away and cancelled for the forseeable future.

Now my contract is up for renewal, I'm looking to improve my career prospects and rewards.

Question: On 3month contract durations, is it common to have a 1 month termination grace notice period; where either party can end their contract? I need this option to move on, as the flexibility to change jobs is easier.

Answer: sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't - see strategies below.

A. Can't see a problem with that one. In fact it's the way most contracts are going at the moment.
    B. Negoiate it out of the contract, or be happy that you only have a 3 month contract (See A).
    C. If you're not critical to the project you have the option to accept it or leave. Tough, that's what happens when you're a contractor.
    D. WTF? This is a contractor's website. Just look for a permie job from the start if you're not a real contractor.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Possibly / possibly not. Some clients are now insisting on a contract which does not allow the contractor to give notice, some don't.

I disagree that having that option will give you any real flexibility - there aren't many roles where the client will wait for a month for a contractor, so does this give you any real benefit?

If you have a clause in the contract which prevents MOO, then you don't have to accept any of the work that is offered, so it's not much of an issue if you really want to leave.

Negotiate with the agency and client. I can't see it being a problem, though, to be honest.

Negotiate with the agency and client. I can't see it being a problem, though, to be honest.

Negotiate with the agency and client. There are a number of threads on the same topic all over the place here. Either:

(a) threaten to walk and hope that the client / agency agree not to cut your rate
      (b) threaten to walk and then walk when you don't get what you want
      (c) negotiate and come to a compromise
      (d) suck it up but work less hard
      (e) suck it up and act professionally
      (f) offer to work less days instead.

If you want a permanent job, then find one. If you want a contract, then be a contractor. I can't really see the attraction to either client or contractor of being "tempted" by the client to go permie.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

I think someone needs to read up on IR35 and apply it to his situation to see how much trouble he is in IMO.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I think someone needs to read up on IR35 and apply it to his situation to see how much trouble he is in IMO.
            I'm not entirely convinced that they are cut out for contracting. What does anyone else think?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              I'm not entirely convinced that they are cut out for contracting. What does anyone else think?
              The NLUKbot suitability algorithm for *NoPaddle* returns *FALSE*
              The NLUKbot - using 16k to defeat bio-NLUK

Comment

Originally posted by NLUKbot View Post
                The NLUKbot suitability algorithm for *NoPaddle* returns *FALSE*
                Wots all this "NLUKbot" thing? Admiration society?
                Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  Wots all this "NLUKbot" thing? Admiration society?
                  I think it passes for humour.

Re, comments above about point D. Nothing wrong with going contract to perm. Done it a couple of times myself and should always be based on merit.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Re, comments above about point D. Nothing wrong with going contract to perm. Done it a couple of times myself and should always be based on merit.
                    But would you be upset if the client said that they weren't going to be considering taking you on permie?

Did you go into the contract expecting / hoping to be going permie (which is how I read the original post)?
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X