• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies to avoid....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    CAPITA

They are just terrible. I would never, ever use them by choice but a lot of companies like them cos they're cheap. Whaddya get if you pay peanuts?

A poorer quality project, delivered at greater cost, late?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Lorien - best avoided

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
      I am sure I am not alone in getting previous contracts via agencies that I would rather not work with again. Generally I've been ok but had a recent bad experience with Lorien / VerticalIT:

- lengthly payment terms; 30 working days from last friday of month ie. this is a min term of 6 weeks from end of month even if you invoice weekly and you could be waiting over 10 weeks if you finish a contract at the start of a new month.

- Even when they agreed to reduce their term they conveniently forgot and needed chasing every month.

- the contract specifically stated that I could not 'resign' so I should insist on a rolling 1 month contract in future.

- Would not allow their contract to be signed without signing the 'optional' Suppliers EAA Regs Opt Out.

IT would be useful to get others views on agencies so that we know to scrutinise their contracts just a little more carefully.
      LORIEN were awful. they got heavy about the Opt Out I told them they could not legally force me to Opt Out and they backed off.
      Also they have a crap online timesheet system which timed out so you were continually chasing the client manager to resign. Ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time. They took 8 wks to pay me my final invoice and only paid up after I threatened legal action - as I had OPTED IN and therefore even if the the client hadn't paid them, they still had to pay me.
      Best avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelman View Post
        LORIEN were awful<snip> continually chasing the client manager to resign<snip>
        Guessing that is re-sign, but good info nonetheless
        latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Steelman View Post
          LORIEN were awful. they got heavy about the Opt Out
          I am yet to find a agency that don't do this.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            You wouldn't believe, but I had an agent who told me "it is totally up to you if you want to opt out". Now, this is not news from legal point of view, but I liked his approach. Agency was a minor player, though.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0anaCNDvGo

Comment

Freudian slip

Originally posted by kevpuk View Post
              Guessing that is re-sign, but good info nonetheless
              Must have been wishful thinking on my part...

Comment

I would avoid Hyphen

My current client move to only using contractors through Hyphen, so I move to Hyphen and have not been paid on time for 4 months.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                  I worked for an agency which had a single contract which had the opted out/not opted out clauses marked saying that the relevant ones applied depending on the worker's status. They did try and convince me that I should opt out (not in writing of course) but in the end I wrote to them to say that "MyLTD had decided not to opt out" and they wrote back and said this was fine. Not much of a fight really, I was pleasantly surprised.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

The agency I'm currently working with never give me any hassle about opt out - not even the first time I spoke to them. They did send the opt out form for the current contract, and when I didn't send it back emailed me telling me I hadn't sent it. I simply replied "I don't Opt Out" and never heard any more from them on it.

Comment

was surprised to see CP here I have worked for them for many years (just finished 18 months IB) they always pay weekly and find me loads of work.

HAYS on the other hand solicitors letter with threats of legal action in order to get paid and also there OT rules unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                      X