• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies to avoid....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Just agree that you understand what they want.... When you get on site just do what you usually do ... work and keep your mouth shut....

I just spent three months working on a site with ANPR on the main gate, after filling the stupid registration form two times and still not getting let in through the employee's entrance I just went through the visitors entrance every day and parked in the visitors parking by the front door. Hey did it matter ... no, did I care no, did I get paid on time ... Yes ...
    Wasn't Northern Rock (Virgin Money) by any chance cos I had to do exactly the same thing
    Blood in your poo

Comment

I've been at a gig through Lorien since April and I've had no trouble at all.
      Paid on time, queries answered promptly and even been taken out for a meal.
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        CAPITA

They are just terrible. I would never, ever use them by choice but a lot of companies like them cos they're cheap. Whaddya get if you pay peanuts?

Have invoiced Capita and they want fuel receipts to pay pre-agreed mileage allowance.

I sense an argument with an accounts department coming on.

Comment

Procura

I've been with Procura for 2 years now, I had some initial issues over the contract, mainly being that they had no notice period for me on a 6 month contract, which obviously didn't fly. To give them credit they did change it, but if I hadn't read the contract, well you know.

They refused to invoice weekly, but demanded weekly timesheets and subsequently found out that they were invoicing the client weekly. I often work remotely from the managers that sign off the timesheets, but when I hadn't gotten one in by 2 pm Monday you'd think the world had ended and no matter how many times I explained that I'd get them in by invoice day at the latest they still hassled me. They also required that expenses be submitted on a separate invoice (this is contrary to the Client's working practices) which is a bit of a hassle.

My main gripe though it that they were 'overly' friendly, calling at least 1-2 times a month and pumping you unashamedly for info on the client. As I was working on NDA projects for an FS client this was extremely uncomfortable and at times I had to be firm, bordering on rude about it. When my agency contact was giving my name to his colleagues to pump info for potential roles in other business areas of the client that I was working with I got really fed up!

I also know that the client refuses to work with them any longer and would not take any CVs from them, this was due to their pumping of contractors for info, constantly hassling managers in the client company and also that they had one of the highest agency percentages of the agencies working with the client and their 'bullish' attitude over getting their invoices paid.

My contract is finally up at the end of the month and I'm told they have re-focused their model so it is unlikely that they'll be able to find me a new role. I was a good cash cow, but now the well has run dry they're not actively looking to fit me elsewhere. Though to be honest, I would prefer not to work with them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Wealie View Post
            I've been with Procura for 2 years now, I had some initial issues over the contract, mainly being that they had no notice period for me on a 6 month contract, which obviously didn't fly. To give them credit they did change it, but if I hadn't read the contract, well you know.
            What is wrong with that? It isn't uncommon to have contracts with no notice period. All the Barclays ones are like that. It was in, you negotiated it out. Business as normal.

They refused to invoice weekly, but demanded weekly timesheets and subsequently found out that they were invoicing the client weekly. I often work remotely from the managers that sign off the timesheets, but when I hadn't gotten one in by 2 pm Monday you'd think the world had ended and no matter how many times I explained that I'd get them in by invoice day at the latest they still hassled me. They also required that expenses be submitted on a separate invoice (this is contrary to the Client's working practices) which is a bit of a hassle.

My main gripe though it that they were 'overly' friendly, calling at least 1-2 times a month and pumping you unashamedly for info on the client. As I was working on NDA projects for an FS client this was extremely uncomfortable and at times I had to be firm, bordering on rude about it. When my agency contact was giving my name to his colleagues to pump info for potential roles in other business areas of the client that I was working with I got really fed up!

I also know that the client refuses to work with them any longer and would not take any CVs from them, this was due to their pumping of contractors for info, constantly hassling managers in the client company and also that they had one of the highest agency percentages of the agencies working with the client and their 'bullish' attitude over getting their invoices paid.

My contract is finally up at the end of the month and I'm told they have re-focused their model so it is unlikely that they'll be able to find me a new role. I was a good cash cow, but now the well has run dry they're not actively looking to fit me elsewhere. Though to be honest, I would prefer not to work with them again.
            Have to say I don't see anything untoward or unmanageable here, certainly not enough avoid them. I would go as far as to say this mostly standard agancy fare, particularly if it is a new small set up.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Progressive
              Agreed, i did not have a good experience with this agency at all, they only care for the business, they are not at all interest looking after the worker.

Comment

Originally posted by icstemp View Post
                Agreed, i did not have a good experience with this agency at all, they only care for the business, they are not at all interest looking after the worker.
                - agency acts like an agency shocker.

Agencies are there for the clients, they aren't here to look after the worker - the quicker you work that out, the better.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelman View Post
                  LORIEN were awful. they got heavy about the Opt Out I told them they could not legally force me to Opt Out and they backed off.
                  Also they have a crap online timesheet system which timed out so you were continually chasing the client manager to resign. Ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time. They took 8 wks to pay me my final invoice and only paid up after I threatened legal action - as I had OPTED IN and therefore even if the the client hadn't paid them, they still had to pay me.
                  Best avoided.
                  Would agree Lorien are very heavy on the opt out idea - they just dont get it.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    You will run out of agencies if you follow that policy. They are all pretty much the same. I personally avoid any Bob agencies as they are more hassle than they are worth and some of the more roguish fly by nighters.

The interaction you have just described is pretty much standard fare and I strongly suggest you develop a much thicker skin.
                    I agree.

I've had individual tulip consultants from some agencies but good ones from the same agency.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Would agree Lorien are very heavy on the opt out idea - they just dont get it.
                      Oh yes they do get it, Agencies know exactly what the opt out means. Otherwise why would the be so hell bent on bullying you into signing it? They are just playing dumb to try and bulltulip you into signing your rights away.
                      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                      X