• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client slow with renewals - look for something else?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Erm..

Did you miss that or did I just not get the joke?
    No I didn't miss that and yes you did not get the joke. But there again, my sense of humour is one of a kind.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      I would have suggested a Nurses outfit, but you didn't direct the question to me.
      Of course, already got one with her being a Nurse. Unfortunately, since she works in theatre its the crappy pyjama type one which is no fun !!!!
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Clark View Post
        You over estimate you're own worth.

No one is irreplaceable.

You leaving could cause a small inconvenience to the client but nothing more.

(I'm not making a personal point; truth is this more than likely applies to all who post on this forum, however I think this kind of thinking could leave you up the creek)
        A few years ago I was working with a contractor who believed he was indispensable. The clientco were pretty disorganised and had no way of replacing him without it screwing up their timescales, and nobody else to do the work that he was doing. They were working towards a go-live deadline. He threw his weight around (figuratively and literally) on site, was abusive to permies and other contractors. They had several complaints about his aggressive bullying behaviour, verbal abuse, particularly when working late at night. This took place over a 2 year period.

Project go-live occured successfully over a weekend, but there were still loads of residual issues to sort out, as there often are. This guy had another 2 months to run on his contract on the basis that he would be required to sort out these issues over that time period, and he was expecting to get extended to work on "Phase 2" or similar, which was due to go live about 6 months afterwards.

So he was surprised to learn that, early on the Monday morning after the go-live weekend, the clientco rang his agency and terminated his contract on the spot. He got a voicemail on his mobile which he picked up as he was leaving the tube station to walk to the client site.

They took the contents of his desk down to the front reception in a bin bag and he came and picked it up the following day.
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I agree with you. Companies will spit you out when they've had their worth out of you.

I've been perfectly nice to my client and been flexible where I can be. Not considering throwing my toys out of the cot and no, I dont really want to upset them if I can. But FFS, all I asked them to do was decide whether I was staying or not and send an email!!!!

Comment

Update:

Contract sorted now. Day before Xmas Eve about 4pm. Better late than never I suppose.

Next time I'll remember not to let it wind me up so much since it does seem like a regular occurence...

Comment

Working...
            X