• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enforced Holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zulu View Post
    Thanks for your condescension .... yeah right, there is an option.....always! there are mugs out there prepared to hire at higher rates...thanks LBG! it was a pleasure!
    You'll be very lucky. It may mean moving to London to maintain or better your 'cut' rate but when you take into account the higher living cost, travel etc, etc, you wont be on a better net rate.
    And imo, LTSB have been paying well over the odds at locations outside Londown for well over 18 months. I was at halifax and frankly couldnt believe the rates they were paying me. I left because I could see they would be wanting long days in return and wasnt prepared to take that kind of rate 'cut.'

Clearly you are new to contracting though and what NLUK said is the harsh fact of life when you leave the cosiness of permiedom behind. Back in 2001 barcrap pulled the same trick 4 weeks after I signed an extension. I walked rather than take the cut as there is no way an agent will side with you (the more you get the more we get, yeah right) against the end client.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BillHicksRIP View Post
      That email talks about clicking Accept or clicking Reject. Any idea where these magic buttons are?
      Don't be in any hurry to click either button. Do nothing and make them sweat for a while, that really winds them up because generally they would prefer that they didn't lose you and it makes them get really nervous about what you might be scheming up.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

RBS have enforced leave in Dec, I've heard in some cases up to 3 weeks for contractors. There is also mumblings amongst the permies that up to 1 in 3 of them will be cut, management are just deciding who...

Comment

was pissed off about this and the rate cut before christmas

so went to see my agent to let them know I'd quit = no rate cut for me

Comment

Originally posted by mickymellon View Post
            was pissed off about this and the rate cut before christmas

so went to see my agent to let them know I'd quit = no rate cut for me
            well done on that. I knew I was in a very strong position with my team but I took the cut with a 2 week notice period since I didn't have anything lined up. I got an interview lined up paying 50% more than current role - so hopefully can tell them to kiss it in a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
              well done on that. I knew I was in a very strong position with my team but I took the cut with a 2 week notice period since I didn't have anything lined up. I got an interview lined up paying 50% more than current role - so hopefully can tell them to kiss it in a week or so.
              Aren't you with Barclays? Last I looked you could not give notice on their contracts. Have they changed?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Aren't you with Barclays? Last I looked you could not give notice on their contracts. Have they changed?
                I said I wouldn't accept extension without a notice period so I got the notice period. It's just to tie me over till I get a good role. I got nothing to lose so only going in at the top rates.....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  I said I wouldn't accept extension without a notice period so I got the notice period. It's just to tie me over till I get a good role. I got nothing to lose so only going in at the top rates.....
                  The black horse poo pooed on its contractors. We are just horse dung. Thats how hyphen treat their contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    I'm sure there's a clause in there about having no MOO, so they can dump you without warning and conversely you can just bugger off anytime you like, innit.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X