• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enforced Holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enforced Holidays

Anyone heard of one of our retail banks asking all contractors to take 2 weeks off this Xmas season?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

I would think that it depends on the project but in my experience with banks, time off over Christmas is not uncommon, even if it is between Christmas and the New Year

Comment

It is not bloody holiday FFS and yes many people seem to be affected by this. I will try and find the thread.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ce-period.html

It has also been mentioned in a number of other threads about 10% cuts.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 22 November 2011, 20:29.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Barclays you mean? Its no secret. Think it's actually 10 days before the end of the year on top of a 'take it or leave it' 10% rate cut. Lots of grumbling about it but pretty much everyone is swallowing it by all accounts. Not there myself but I know quite a few people working out of Radbroke Hall.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Citi pulled the same stunt on Friday. Between then and 31st Dec (excluding Xmas-NYE, because all the permies have bagged that already!) I am requested not to be in the office for "10 business days of my choice". Yeah thanks, that's a huge choice of dates to pick from.

For they have sown the wind and in 2012 they shall reap the whirlwind....

Comment

Originally posted by Crack Addick View Post
            Citi pulled the same stunt on Friday. Between then and 31st Dec (excluding Xmas-NYE, because all the permies have bagged that already!) I am requested not to be in the office for "10 business days of my choice". Yeah thanks, that's a huge choice of dates to pick from.

For they have sown the wind and in 2012 they shall reap the whirlwind....
            Are you saying Citi won't let you include the days between Christmas and New Year in your ten days furlough?
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Remind me never to work at a bank!!!
              Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

RBS

RBS holiday is from 16th Dec to 3rd Jan

Comment

The recent unpaid leave requests are different to what is generally put into contracts for IT staff working with traders.

I have a line in mine about taking a 2 week period off at some point during the year, this also applies to perm staff and is to allow time for some one else to handle their books and hopefully find the dodgy deals ala recent UBS losses.

Time off over Christmas is related to the fact they know there is very little work and they can save a few £k.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Talking to a friend at Deutsche bank last week as a role came up there I was intrested in, he told me they have a 3 week enforced 'holiday' period over xmas for all contractors/consultants.

Comment

Working...
                    X