• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client enforcing time away without notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client enforcing time away without notice period

My contract ends on the 02 December however I was informed by the client yesterday (14/11) that they are enforcing a Mandatory Time Away period for the project from the 25th November. I have a 30-day notice period on my contract. Therefore, if I am expected to end the assignment on the 25th of November instead of the 02 December, surely they would have needed to tell me on the 25th October? As they haven’t, am I within my rights to invoice to the 02 December?

It is very simple indeed. You are a contractor. You don't work, you don't bill. They are not obliged to give you work (which is core to your IR35 statu).The contract carrys on running an ends as normal regardless of whether you are working or not.

You are not ending your assigment, you are still contracted to them until the 02 Dec but are not working.

You are still not understanding the basics of how contracting works.

We assume you are at Barclays as well..
    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 November 2011, 17:01.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It is very simple indeed. You are a contractor. You don't work, you don't bill. They are not obliged to give you work (which is core to your IR35 statu).The contract carrys on running an ends as normal regardless of whether you are working or not.

You are not ending your assigment, you are still contracted to them until the 02 Dec but are not working.

You are still not understanding the basics of how contracting works.

We assume you are at Barclays as well..
      MOO !!!!
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=northernladuk;1428154]You are not ending your assigment, you are still contracted to them but are not working.QUOTE]

So you are saying that theoretically, as a contractor, we can be told on a Friday “We don’t need you to work from Monday for two months” and that is legally acceptable? I don’t buy that. And nope, not Barclays.

Comment

Originally posted by Belle View Post
          My contract ends on the 02 December however I was informed by the client yesterday (14/11) that they are enforcing a Mandatory Time Away period for the project from the 25th November. I have a 30-day notice period on my contract. Therefore, if I am expected to end the assignment on the 25th of November instead of the 02 December, surely they would have needed to tell me on the 25th October? As they haven’t, am I within my rights to invoice to the 02 December?
          You are within your rights to invoice until December 2nd.

Make sure you include all the work that you do up to that point, and do not invoice for any work that you don't do.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            You are within your rights to invoice until December 2nd.

Make sure you include all the work that you do up to that point, and do not invoice for any work that you don't do.
            Am I within my rights to WORK until 02 Dec?

Comment

So you are saying that theoretically, as a contractor, we can be told on a Friday “We don’t need you to work from Monday for two months” and that is legally acceptable?
              Yes, that's exactly what he is saying.

I don’t buy that.
              Oh.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Am I within my rights to WORK until 02 Dec?
                Yes.

But not for this client.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

[QUOTE=Belle;1428163]
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You are not ending your assigment, you are still contracted to them but are not working.QUOTE]

So you are saying that theoretically, as a contractor, we can be told on a Friday “We don’t need you to work from Monday for two months” and that is legally acceptable? I don’t buy that. And nope, not Barclays.
                  I'm afraid they are completely within their rights to do that.

As said above, the central feature of your IR35 status is that there is no obligation for them to provide work to you.

Comment

Psychocandy mentioned it, albeit rather badly with no explaination as usual but the term you are looking for is Mutuality of Obligation. MOO..
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X