• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client enforcing time away without notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    Might I pose a hypothetical (for me at least, I am sure it has happened to someone)?

If a month into a three month contract you are told to take a month off due to lack of work then come back, is there a legal mechanism for getting out of the contract if you haven't got a notice period?
    Couldnt you then under your same rights given by MOO then decline to come back to do the work? And then get a contract somewhere else?

Two contracts running concurrently - one of which you decline to work on and let expire naturally?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      A big hug from D000hg would be nice though

I don't think I'm being more bitchy than you... just a bit of a balance so they don't all run away
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Play nicely people, please.

If you want to discuss who said what, or how to behave in the professional forums, take it to General.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          She signed it and almost completely worked it. No agent is going to change it retrospectively now. This is a must at the beginning of the next one though. The contract isn't the only flag, it is also the working conditions so she could be ok if the changes QDOS suggest are also evident in the workplace. The client has demonstrated there is no MOO by giving this notice so she isn't sunk if the contract says otherwise but deffo needs checking over.
          I hunk we might be talking at cross purposes now!

Comment

Not Barclays but another bank is enacting this, shooting themselves in the foot though as some of the major projects are full of contractors with deliverables due end of this year.

Expect there will be escalations and exceptions....
            Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Or just book your 2 week ski holiday and bugger off....

Looking forward to it.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                Not Barclays but another bank is enacting this, shooting themselves in the foot though as some of the major projects are full of contractors with deliverables due end of this year.
                Which is why I'll deliberately be taking my 10 days off immediately before&after the Y/E change freeze next month. Let see how much quickness they get, when our small army of Bobs do the needful and feck it all up.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Couldnt you then under your same rights given by MOO then decline to come back to do the work? And then get a contract somewhere else?
                  Sure, why not. It cuts both ways doesn't it. If you get another offer then just tell them that you are unavailable for the next 2 months, you are giving notice to terminate the contract and you won't be back onsite. They have to learn that cutting rates and forcing people to take time off when they are contracted to do a 5 day week isn't going to make for a good business relationship.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                  X