• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business is Business?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business is Business?

Hi,

Wanted to get some opinions on a situation I have found myself in and not sure if I acted in the correct manner - apologies for the long post!

I contract for a large Bank and was advised recently of an enforced 10% rate cut upon renewal and also that renewals were now subject to a more stringent process and that it was not guaranteed, although it was the intention of the business unit to extend. I stated a number of times to my line manager that due to the rate cut and uncertainty around the extension I would be actively looking for alternate contracts.

My contract was due to expire last Friday and I had informed my manager that I will be unavailable this week as I will be taking leave.

On Thursday I was informed by my manager that the extension had been approved - I did not accept at this point as I was awaiting another offer.

This Tuesday I received an offer which was substantially better, which I accepted as I was out of contract.

I informed my manager on Wednesday that I would not be renewing - he was shocked, and stated that I should be completing a 4 week notice period to which I said that would not be possible and that I am outside of contract, so notice does not apply - at which point he advised I would never work for them again and slammed the phone down on me!

Do you regard this as Business is Business or do you believe I have acted unprofessionally?

For me it was a matter of timing, a better offer and the fact that I was outside of contract.
    Had they not granted the extension on pretty much the last day I am sure they would not pay me for any notice period as there is no obligation to do so.

I would welcome your views.

If you are out of contract you are out of contract, although it isn't the best PR if you are ever planning to go back there.

Comment

Originally posted by apb View Post
      My contract was due to expire last Friday and I had informed my manager that I will be unavailable this week as I will be taking leave.

On Thursday I was informed by my manager that the extension had been approved - I did not accept at this point as I was awaiting another offer.

This Tuesday I received an offer which was substantially better, which I accepted as I was out of contract.

I informed my manager on Wednesday that I would not be renewing - he was shocked, and stated that I should be completing a 4 week notice period to which I said that would not be possible and that I am outside of contract, so notice does not apply - at which point he advised I would never work for them again and slammed the phone down on me!
      Maybe on the Thursday you could have made it clearer that you had another opportunity in the pipeline and would make a decision while you were on your break.

Apart from that, you're in the right - you are out of contract, have no obligation to renew, and don't need to give any notice or anything like that.

Shame the client can't see that, but there's nothing more that can be done. Good luck with the new role.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Do you regard this as Business is Business or do you believe I have acted unprofessionally?
        You've done nowt wrong. They're enforcing the rate cut and not informing you until 1 day before you leave.

Rule of life: Look after number 1 because no other **** will.

Comment

I contract for a large Bank and was advised recently of an enforced 10% rate cut upon renewal and also that renewals were now subject to a more stringent process and that it was not guaranteed, although it was the intention of the business unit to extend. I stated a number of times to my line manager that due to the rate cut and uncertainty around the extension I would be actively looking for alternate contracts.
          This gets the warning flags going straight away. Definately a culture problem if renewals are deemed to be gauranteed let alone IR35 in some form or other.

Everyone always paps on about looking for alternatives when this happens but unfortuantely 99.9% just take it so again the business expects you to moan but take it hence setting you up for the problem you had.

As TheFaQQer points out it wouldn't have hurt to advise the client of your situation, might even have helped your cause rate/timings wise. If you want to be very hard nosed about it yes it is just business but setting expecations can make it a lot easier.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            This gets the warning flags going straight away. Definately a culture problem if renewals are deemed to be gauranteed let alone IR35 in some form or other.

Everyone always paps on about looking for alternatives when this happens but unfortuantely 99.9% just take it so again the business expects you to moan but take it hence setting you up for the problem you had.

As TheFaQQer points out it wouldn't have hurt to advise the client of your situation, might even have helped your cause rate/timings wise. If you want to be very hard nosed about it yes it is just business but setting expecations can make it a lot easier.

Agreed, thinking back now I should have kept the Client more informed so it wasn't such a surprise. As for using this in regards stopping the rate cut - I believe this is across the board and there is nothing the business unit can do.

I suppose at the time I was trying to keep all my options open as an alternate offer may have not come about. Unfortunately looks like I have burnt my bridges there now.

Comment

I suppose at the time I was trying to keep all my options open as an alternate offer may have not come about. Unfortunately looks like I have burnt my bridges there now.
              Nah, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. As you say business is business. There are two sides to every story etc. Hopefully that manager will get over this disappointment and get on with the job in hand and blame his bank and not you for this issue. I certainly don't think he will go round bad mouthing you and that is IF he gets to find out you have applied in the future. I am sure there are lots of areas and roles going so the chances of it being your old boss will be slim anyway.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Business Is Business -Damn Right!!

Hey Man

Don't beat yourself up...
                You've acted professionally all the way along...

By the way suppose they were going to terminate you, do you think they would have given you 4 weeks notice, if this didn't suit them at the time?

Look forward to new Contract & Dosh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SeekingIT View Post
                  Hey Man

Don't beat yourself up...
                  You've acted professionally all the way along...

By the way suppose they were going to terminate you, do you think they would have given you 4 weeks notice, if this didn't suit them at the time?

Look forward to new Contract & Dosh!!!

This ^
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

at which point he advised I would never work for them again and slammed the phone down on me!
                    What a load of bollocks! In 2 or 3 years time when a new role comes up there, the PM will have moved on or left and the banks are so huge that chances are it'll not be even in the same floor or building.

Wouldn't worry about 'burning bridges', look ater #1.

Comment

Working...
                    X