• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business is Business?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apb View Post
    That was my concern. Whist I had said I was actively looking, I didn't think I needed to provide any more detail than that as the information could effectively be used against me.

It was obvious there was no negotiation on the rate cut so this information could not be used as a bargaining point.
    Not sure about that, if business needs mean they need you and if the right people sign off on it then there is always a way around things. If they want you most things are possible.

ClientCo-2 had a 3 year contractor policy, 3 years came up but they still offered me a 6 month extension, I left anyway cos I needed a change, but the offer outside their normal policy was there.

GL in your new role. Business is business. They didn't work fast enough.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Business is business.

Purely down to the manager in charge of ensuring you were renewed.

Happened to me last year. Contract due to finish. There was extra work in the pipeline at the client, lots of noise, but the contract renewal didn't come. I asked a few times, but still nothing concrete. Come the last week I started phoning around and secured another gig with an immediate start on the Monday. Told the client, I was looking. Come Friday, he waltzes back in and says, nothing for you next week but I'm hoping to get something sorted week after next, is that OK?

Sorry, already sorted was my reply.

Lots of 'but','but' from the client and I told them straight that I'm a business and hopefully we can do something in 3 months or so.

As it happens it was five months later before we could tie up again and I've now been at this gig all year. They also make sure that they get renewals sorted earlier now as well :-)
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I wouldnt worry about it, im sure they wouldnt if the shoe was on the other foot. I think you acted professionally and it is they that messed up. Im also glad that youre sending a clear message that riding rough-shod over contractors / enforcing rate cuts doesnt always work.

Ive been on the other end, enforced rate cuts, contracts ended at short notice etc, myself and many other contractors were treated like $hit by a certain manager/particular bank.

Like others have said, with a big bank, people move on, so many depts etc no one will remember, its not like they have a blacklist!

Comment

The 10% enforced cuts along with expecting you to just roll over and take it (despite you pointing out the cut meant you were looking elsewhere) is typical of the way a lot of the banks are operating these days.

They figure that because the market is bad they can cut your rate and you'll just get on with it. In other words they took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Your ex manager is a bad loser, because at the end of the day they know they have a hassle on thier hands in replacing you and the real chance that they may end up paying more than the 10% they cut from you in pimp fees etc.

You acted professionally so I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
          X