• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Business is Business?"

Collapse

• Langkawi
    replied
    The 10% enforced cuts along with expecting you to just roll over and take it (despite you pointing out the cut meant you were looking elsewhere) is typical of the way a lot of the banks are operating these days.

They figure that because the market is bad they can cut your rate and you'll just get on with it. In other words they took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

Your ex manager is a bad loser, because at the end of the day they know they have a hassle on thier hands in replacing you and the real chance that they may end up paying more than the 10% they cut from you in pimp fees etc.

You acted professionally so I wouldn't worry about it.

Leave a comment:

• Barley
    replied
    I wouldnt worry about it, im sure they wouldnt if the shoe was on the other foot. I think you acted professionally and it is they that messed up. Im also glad that youre sending a clear message that riding rough-shod over contractors / enforcing rate cuts doesnt always work.

Ive been on the other end, enforced rate cuts, contracts ended at short notice etc, myself and many other contractors were treated like $hit by a certain manager/particular bank.

Like others have said, with a big bank, people move on, so many depts etc no one will remember, its not like they have a blacklist!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Business is business.

Purely down to the manager in charge of ensuring you were renewed.

Happened to me last year. Contract due to finish. There was extra work in the pipeline at the client, lots of noise, but the contract renewal didn't come. I asked a few times, but still nothing concrete. Come the last week I started phoning around and secured another gig with an immediate start on the Monday. Told the client, I was looking. Come Friday, he waltzes back in and says, nothing for you next week but I'm hoping to get something sorted week after next, is that OK?

Sorry, already sorted was my reply.

Lots of 'but','but' from the client and I told them straight that I'm a business and hopefully we can do something in 3 months or so.

As it happens it was five months later before we could tie up again and I've now been at this gig all year. They also make sure that they get renewals sorted earlier now as well :-)

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by apb View Post
    That was my concern. Whist I had said I was actively looking, I didn't think I needed to provide any more detail than that as the information could effectively be used against me.

It was obvious there was no negotiation on the rate cut so this information could not be used as a bargaining point.
    Not sure about that, if business needs mean they need you and if the right people sign off on it then there is always a way around things. If they want you most things are possible.

ClientCo-2 had a 3 year contractor policy, 3 years came up but they still offered me a 6 month extension, I left anyway cos I needed a change, but the offer outside their normal policy was there.

GL in your new role. Business is business. They didn't work fast enough.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Was it Lloyds per chance? I understand that they are implementing 10% cuts across the board for contractors.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Personally, I would want nothing more to do with a company that thought they could renege on the agreed price for a job.

Your only issue was not managing the chap better.

Leave a comment:

• apb
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    If might have hurt. They might have decided because you were looking elsewhere they'd hand the renewal to someone else instead.
    That was my concern. Whist I had said I was actively looking, I didn't think I needed to provide any more detail than that as the information could effectively be used against me.

It was obvious there was no negotiation on the rate cut so this information could not be used as a bargaining point.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    As TheFaQQer points out it wouldn't have hurt to advise the client of your situation, might even have helped your cause rate/timings wise. If you want to be very hard nosed about it yes it is just business but setting expecations can make it a lot easier.
    If might have hurt. They might have decided because you were looking elsewhere they'd hand the renewal to someone else instead.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I would welcome your views.
    You did totally the right thing. If everyone did this Im sure the concept of an enforced 10% cut would soon be forgotten about.

I would make a special point of following through with a letter for your records, as to me this is perfect proof of being outside of IR35 re mutuality of obligation. They offered more work, you refused it. Im proud of ya.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    I informed my manager on Wednesday that I would not be renewing - he was shocked, and stated that I should be completing a 4 week notice period to which I said that would not be possible and that I am outside of contract, so notice does not apply - at which point he advised I would never work for them again and slammed the phone down on me!
    That is very unprofessional of him, he's only angry because he knows he messed up. The client should have negotiated the contract renewal at least 2 weeks before the end date. Also, HR have to understand that these "10% rate cuts across the board" are going to backfire on them. By not renewing, you will make them think again before pulling this stunt.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    In defence of the manager he probably would have had you renewed weeks ago but sign off can be hard to achieve in organisations.

Still, not the OPs fault though.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    I stated a number of times to my line manager that due to the rate cut and uncertainty around the extension I would be actively looking for alternate contracts
    This appears to be the salient point.

The manager should have been aware of the situation HE/the decision makers were putting him in.

It sounds like the manager has no clue how contracts work, made a huge assumption about you, and had no plan in place to deal with what would happen should you not renew, hence the bluster about never working for them again.
    There wasn't really a 'I won't bs available next week' - you didn't have a contract - it expired and it wasn't til the following weds/thurs the new one could be in place.

Maybe if you had worded it better the manger would have realised, but still their fault.
    Last edited by jmo21; 4 November 2011, 21:38.

Leave a comment:

• apb
    replied
    Originally posted by Pork Belly
    Hypothetically, if you'd known in advance that your manager was going to respond in the way he did, would you have made a different decision?

I'm guessing it would have made absolutely no difference at all.
    Had I known this would be the reaction, you're right it would not make any difference.

If he wants to act that way then that's fine as long as I maintain my professionalism and move on, in some way it makes me think I made the right decision.

My loyalty is to providing for my family and hence going for the better rate, not for a bank that would dump me as quick as you like if it suited them.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Quite possible one department were aware, and the PM assumed it was all being sorted out. Nothing done wrong there, though buttering the guy up with a frank explanation and buying him a beer might be a good idea, if he's got caught out and is just annoyed his plans are now messed up.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    at which point he advised I would never work for them again and slammed the phone down on me!
    What a load of bollocks! In 2 or 3 years time when a new role comes up there, the PM will have moved on or left and the banks are so huge that chances are it'll not be even in the same floor or building.

Wouldn't worry about 'burning bridges', look ater #1.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X