• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 contracts at same time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 contracts at same time?

Hi guys,

New to posting, been lurking for a long time, how sad!

Anyway, i would really appreciate your advice.

I have a very good relationship with my current client, but work for me is running out. I have found a new role, but the new client is adamant I start one week earlier than my current client is awilling to release me.
    My question is, does anyone know any reasons why I COULDNT work for both clients for the final week, assuming I bill appropriately? My new client would know the situation, my current client would not.
    Opinions would be much appreciated thanks.

Yes you can do this.

Comment

Thanks Sockpuppet, do you know if I legally have to inform both parties?

Thanks

Comment

The whole idea of being a business is you can run the contracts as you see fit. You could bill both of them fo a full week if you could get away with it.

Start to think like a business rather than a permie.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Been there, done that, for a while I had quite a nice day rate. Even now I have a big and a little gig, running in parallel.

Just be certain you are doing the full job for both parties.
          Last edited by malvolio; 12 October 2011, 14:52. Reason: Leran to splel cehck!!
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Did both clients know about it? Not sure if I should / have to, tell them or not?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              The whole idea of being a business is you can run the contracts as you see fit. You could bill both of them fo a full week if you could get away with it.

Start to think like a business rather than a permie.
              WHS.

What's the worst that can happen if the current client finds out?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Depends on the circumstances. If client A wants you to work Mon/Tue, client B Tues/Weds then there should be no reason for them to know. If the dates clash then I don't think it a problem to advise them you are working for client B at this time can they make a different day.

If you client A is aying you for 5 days and client B for 2 days then keep you mouth shut
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would effectively be working for both of them at the same time (would invoice accordingly though!)

I dont want to burn any bridges with current client as it has been a great programme and I'm well regarded, so don't want to jeopardise that.

However, dont want to miss out on a good opportunity with big programme of work for the sake of a week.

Thanks for your comments, and your right, ultimately this is my business and I chose how I conduct it, but I dont want to jeopardise references later on as I am in a senior role for this client, and the world gets ever smaller

Comment

I have a 5 day per week contract, and am also doing 1 day per week on my previous contract for 3 months, which I do for 1.5 to 2 hours per day on the train. Works quite nicely but it's a bit of a shock to the system starting work before 7:00 a.m. every morning.

Comment

Working...
                    X