• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dress code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress code

In all my previous contracts, i've tended to wear what the hell i like (jeans, t-shirts, trainers).

In my latest (new) contract, it has been suggested that i should be wearing smart business attire like others (permies and contractors) at client co.

I don't really feel comfortable with being "told" what to wear, but this isn't a deal breaker. What i'm concerned about is how this looks from an IR35 POV.

Could this be classed as direction and control? Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Smarten up and look professional.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
      Smarten up and look professional.
      WHS

I know lots of freelancers and contractors in different fields and they know what they wear when meeting a client or working on a client site reflects their business. People in this country have a massive thing about image so aren't happy meeting their lawyer dressed in jeans.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How can being polite and adhering to a companies dress policy be direction and control???? There is a bit of a difference between avoiding IR35 and being professional.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Rule #3 of Contracting:

Contractors are always better dressed than permies.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            WHS

I know lots of freelancers and contractors in different fields and they know what they wear when meeting a client or working on a client site reflects their business. People in this country have a massive thing about image so aren't happy meeting their lawyer dressed in jeans.
            Timely.

Comment

And make sure you have clean underwear on. Just in case.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                Could this be classed as direction and control?
                Strictly speaking, I think yes. But it would only be a very minor indicator. It's not like you have to wear a uniform or anything.

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Rule #3 of Contracting:

in the same way that billionaires are always more casually dressed than their chauffeurs.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Rule #3 of Contracting:

That sounds like a good rule. I am going to attempt to follow this from now one. Why isn't this on the first timers guide?

All I ever did was to suit up for the interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus Prime View Post
                    That sounds like a good rule. I am going to attempt to follow this from now one. Why isn't this on the first timers guide?
                    Because it's common sense?

The amount they pay me, I'll dress up in drag if they want me to. Much prefer casual but you have to go with the flow.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X