• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dress code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Because it's common sense?

The amount they pay me, I'll dress up in drag if they want me to. Much prefer casual but you have to go with the flow.
    Common sense tells you that the developer getting 120k should be in a suit and the developer on 60k is fine without one? Anyway, it sounds like it would work well to cast an air of superiority. My common sense stands improved.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Strictly speaking, I think yes. But it would only be a very minor indicator. It's not like you have to wear a uniform or anything.

in the same way that billionaires are always more casually dressed than their chauffeurs.
      I dont think it is direction at all, just like adhering to site H&S isn't direction either. I think it more of an etiquette or level of professionalism than control.

They do dress more casually but in clothes worth 100's of pounds more.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Jeans are for weekends and not for the workplace imho unless you are working on a building site, which I would guess for the average IT contractor is not the case. Dress smart, create a professional image of yourself and act professional. Same thing, women wearing flip flops in the office should not be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Jeans are for weekends and not for the workplace imho unless you are working on a building site, which I would guess for the average IT contractor is not the case. Dress smart, create a professional image of yourself and act professional. Same thing, women wearing flip flops in the office should not be allowed.
          I'm going to stand for election.

Fit lasses must walk absolutely naked.

Munters must wear full burkhas.

Think it might be a vote winner.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Rule #3 of Contracting:

Contractors are always better dressed than permies.
            Gosh, Mal, you must work for some right scruffy gits
            World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by v8gaz View Post
              Gosh, Mal, you must work for some right scruffy gits
              I've got much better suits for paid work.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                In all my previous contracts, i've tended to wear what the hell i like (jeans, t-shirts, trainers).

In my latest (new) contract, it has been suggested that i should be wearing smart business attire like others (permies and contractors) at client co.

I don't really feel comfortable with being "told" what to wear, but this isn't a deal breaker. What i'm concerned about is how this looks from an IR35 POV.

Could this be classed as direction and control? Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this?
                I think you shouldn't have given them chance to tell this. After seeing how others dressed around, you should have changed accordingly...

Comment

I have my suits made for me due to the fact that I know how a gentleman's suit is made compared to the crap that comes off the peg in the high street. However as soon as I walk on site and know that I am shaming even my boss, I dress down to smart jeans and a blazer (still tailored) and most of the time the client is happy. Then when I have to do the "power" meetings I can step up a gear and people notice a difference.

Comment

If you find suit & tie strangles you, at least wear a nice shirt and trousers... posh jeans even if they aren't bright blue.

I hate the feeling of wearing a tie but these days that is not considered as essential to look smart, especially if you have a jacket.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I tend to prefer jeans and T shirt tbh.

Mostly because I look tulip whatever I wear...

Comment

Working...
                      X