• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dress code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    MyCo policy is:

Week 1 Suit and tie
    Weeks 2 to 103 Chanel No. 5 and a smile
    Gonna be a bit cold with just that on surely?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Gonna be a bit cold with just that on surely?
      Real contractors don't feel the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
        In all my previous contracts, i've tended to wear what the hell i like (jeans, t-shirts, trainers).

In my latest (new) contract, it has been suggested that i should be wearing smart business attire like others (permies and contractors) at client co.

I don't really feel comfortable with being "told" what to wear, but this isn't a deal breaker. What i'm concerned about is how this looks from an IR35 POV.

Could this be classed as direction and control? Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this?
        Not in anyone's book!

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
        Smarten up and look professional.
        WWS

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Rule #3 of Contracting:

Contractors are always better dressed than permies.
        A myth

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
        I think you shouldn't have given them chance to tell this. After seeing how others dressed around, you should have changed accordingly...
        WD_TS

I worked at certain large phone company which has a full dress down policy, or even a lack of a policy right up the chain. I mean it wasn't even decent. Summer tops with no bra's was manageable but trying to have a meeting with a young lad presenting dressed like a goth with his jeans halfway down his legs was taking it a bit too far. Always stayed in trousers and open next shirt despite being called 'the suit'. It seemed it didn't matter if you dressed up or right down so stayed in what I was comfortable in.
        Next = a bit tacky for a contractor sheesh!

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        I always wear an earring and also have a small hoop in my eyebrow. Never caused me a problem, except at an interview for a consultancy co working at DWP. The bird interviewing me said as I got up to leave that the eyebrow piercing was 'cute and everything' but I'd have to take it out before attending their client site. Ended up telling them to stick the role for other (rate related) reasons. Other than that, it's never been a problem. So, put your tie on and put a big f*** off gold earing in for your meeting
        Are you sure a Prince Albert is appropriate with ANY dress code?

Comment

Personally I dress like everyone else I am working with. The whole 'dress smarter than the permies' thing is a bit dated in the era of New Media companies in jeans and trainers where wearing a suit and tie would make you stick out.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
            Personally I dress like everyone else I am working with.
            Same here. I've recently been working a lot in e-commerce and in the three companies I've been in there is no dress code… which is fine by me as I prefer casual clothes to a stuffy suit. But even if I did prefer to wear a suit, I'd probably decide against it when even the CEO wears jeans and a casual shirt!

It all depends on the environment you're working in I guess. If it's highly corporate and everyone is in a suit, wear a suit. If it's more laid back, maybe go casual/business-casual.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
              Personally I dress like everyone else I am working with.
              What if the office is full of women? Do you prefer knee length or something a bit racier?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What if the office is full of women? Do you prefer knee length or something a bit racier?

Please don't come out and say your name is Kellie.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Please don't come out and say your name is Kellie.
                  Getting warmer.

Comment

I like to wear a full on 80's power suit with shoulder pads so huge that I have to turn sideways to get though doors (even double doors). I find that this helps me to be taken seriously whilst also standing out from the crowd.

Comment

I was under the impression, that one of the thing that sets apart devs that are contractors from permie counterparts was lower level of social phobias and ability to wear something else than flannels.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0anaCNDvGo

Comment

Working...
                      X