• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where and how I can get 750 per day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is 'front office' anyway?
    Working for a financial co at present and they have a lot of banks as customers, but I'd like to ensure I use this opportunity to learn as much transferable stuff as possible ...

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
      What exactly is 'front office' anyway?
      Roughly, working on the trading floor of an IB or Trading House. Building: Trading Systems (deal capture), Real-time Position Keeping Systems (PnL), Risk Engines, Pricing/Valuation Engines, real-time data distribution, etc., etc., etc.

If your were doing "front office" at the moment, you'd know it.

EDIT: Of course, you don't have to physically be on the trading floor (I'm two floors away, where it's much nicer and quieter... )
      Last edited by nomadd; 21 September 2011, 10:29.
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Oh right.

I am actually working on a risk engine at the moment, although my involvement with said engine remains with the front end and stops as soon as I hit anything involving calculations

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          Roughly, working on the trading floor of an IB or Trading House. Building: Trading Systems (deal capture), Real-time Position Keeping Systems (PnL), Risk Engines, Pricing/Valuation Engines, real-time data distribution, etc., etc., etc.

If your were doing "front office" at the moment, you'd know it.

EDIT: Of course, you don't have to physically be on the trading floor (I'm two floors away, where it's much nicer and quieter... )
          Do you have to be super-mathematical or something? Are the rates really that much better in front office (I've been as high as just over £600 in IBs, but not front office)?

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
            Strange. After all these years, my goal is simply to stay in work doing something I enjoy.

Same here. And get back into work before I lose my mind. The last month feels like a year !

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Do you have to be super-mathematical or something? Are the rates really that much better in front office (I've been as high as just over £600 in IBs, but not front office)?
              Well, you'd need to be math literate, but not a wizz by any means (I'm not.) Most trading calcs/algos are actually quite simple, and also "well known", so you won't have to be a PHD research mathematician to do an IT job. I leave the derivation to the BAs; my job is to "make it all work, and fast."

£600 is a good rate. Front office can pay more, but you need v.good business knowledge and/or niche technical skills to get the sort of rates the OP of this thread was asking about.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
              X