• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where and how I can get 750 per day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where and how I can get 750 per day?

Hi guys,

Goal is get contract with rate 750 (ovno) per day.

What I got:
    12 years of software development experience. Usual stuff VB, Delphi, C#.
    Databases: SQL, Oracle.
    8 years with C#, .Net
    3 years in Investment banking, contracting.

Questions are:
    Should I target any specific business area in front office of investment bank?
    Do I need to gain any specific knowledge like WPF, multithreading?
    Do I need to become a team lead, BA or architect?
    Do I need posses any specific set of skills to get there?
    Sell yourself better?

Regards.

You need to get at least slightly customer-facing to get that that sort of money, i.e. where the Bob's can't shine. Sounds like your stuff is off-shorable, thereby can be done for 100 a day. Correct me if I'm wrong though...

Comment

Originally posted by gemasp View Post
      Hi guys,

Goal is get contract with rate 750 (ovno) per day.

What I got:
      12 years of software development experience. Usual stuff VB, Delphi, C#.
      Databases: SQL, Oracle.
      8 years with C#, .Net
      3 years in Investment banking, contracting.

Questions are:
      Should I target any specific business area in front office of investment bank?
      Do I need to gain any specific knowledge like WPF, multithreading?
      Do I need to become a team lead, BA or architect?
      Do I need posses any specific set of skills to get there?
      Sell yourself better?

Regards.

What you currently charging and what's the time scale for this. There are lots of contractors out there with much more experience than above not getting as much.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        You need to get at least slightly customer-facing to get that that sort of money, i.e. where the Bob's can't shine. Sounds like your stuff is off-shorable, thereby can be done for 100 a day. Correct me if I'm wrong though...
        Thanks for that. Customer-facing. Noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          What you currently charging and what's the time scale for this. There are lots of contractors out there with much more experience than above not getting as much.
          Probably they aren't selling themselfs hard enough?!

Rate atm is a bit less then that. If I am gonna do it traditional way (£50 increase every new contract) it will take me 4 rounds to get there.

Time scale is as soos as the next contract. I am very ambitious, I know. Ready to work and sell hard to get there though! :-)

Comment

Afgan or perhaps Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Clark View Post
              Afgan or perhaps Iraq.
              would have thought that sort of money is for programme manager, senior enterprise architect type roles.

stop coding and start doing powerpoint slides.
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Think you will struggle to get it on the coding side, defo seeing a fair few decent techy BA roles paying upto £700 though a few £750, I got a job spec in for a front office BA for MI fx sales reporting, extensive BA experience in the front office required and strong SQL. The highest paid coders / techies I know are earning max £675 these days. Either that or you will have to have something pretty niche coding wise or look at interim management.
                Last edited by Bumfluff; 19 September 2011, 16:24.

Comment

With C++ then you can get 750 eg:

C++ Developer - Market Data London Contract IT Job

You can get good rates for C# if you're an expert in exotic derivatives. You would need to know all about the mathematics of calculating risk and prices of derivatives. Try John Hull....Options, Futures and Other derivatives, when you know the insides of that book, and then some, you're an expert on it.

From what I can see in your experience I would estimate you're probably in the 400-500 category.

Just need to get front office roles and learn about derivatives, then you can push for £600 plus.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 September 2011, 16:53.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I found making the customer want to ask you back for other roles is a good plan. Once a hiring manager thinks "Damn I need X to do a job for me..." then you are on a better discussion footing for your rate because the agency cannot go and get the five cheapest bods to pit against you.

Comment

Working...
                    X