• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opt out of Conduct of employment agencies 2003 act?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting link

Just been called up by an agency wanting to talk to me about some potential roles. As usual, I went to check the agency out first to see what kind of web presence they have first. Noticed this on their page, specifically "Please note for commercial reasons and following advice from BIS, Arrows Group are unable to accommodate Limited Company Contractors that wish to Opt In to the Conduct of Employment Regulations" Have had this kind of tulip from Agents at contract signing time but never so blatant as putting it on their site before! Especially when they also mention that it helps with IR35 which is clearly incorrect!

Anyone else seen this with any other agency out there?
    Contract | Arrows Group

Comment

Have you bothered reading this thread? http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1535741
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Have you bothered reading this thread? http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ml#post1535741
        Well, yes...

Wasn't posting it as a question as to whether it's right or wrong or anything like that. Was posting it as I have never seen an agency be so blatant about trying to get candidates to opt out as to put it on their website and to also state in it that it makes it better from an IR35 perspective. Thats all

Cheers

Comment

What's the position on opting out after you've started work?

The opinion on this message board seems to be that you can't opt out after you've begun on a client site. But after speaking to the Pay and Work Rights Agency, it sounds as though an opt out counts from when you sign the piece of paper.

Comment

I've answered my own question.

I phoned the Pay and Work Rights helpline, and they confirmed that if you sign an opt-out then you're outside the regulations from that point on EVEN if you've already started work.

For future reference, I won't be signing away my rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Graemsay View Post
              I've answered my own question.

I phoned the Pay and Work Rights helpline, and they confirmed that if you sign an opt-out then you're outside the regulations from that point on EVEN if you've already started work.

For future reference, I won't be signing away my rights.
              Then why does all their literature say its got to be before introduction?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Graemsay View Post
                Read the actual legislation Section 32(9) for yourself, it ,says the opt out must be done before the introduction or supply of the work-seeker.

Pay and Work Rights helpline are either giving you wrong information or you misunderstood what they told you.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Didn't see this mentioned but REC isn't helping the situation with their guide to contractors which can be found here REC Leaflet Guide for Limited company Contractors pdf free ebook download from www.itsecurityteam.co.uk

it does have a bit of a scare paragraph on page 2 saying...

Why opt out?
                  The decision to opt out is likely to have
                  implications for your tax position.
                  Under Inland Revenue IR35 rules there are a
                  range of factors which are assessed by the
                  Inland Revenue to determine whether an LCC
                  is genuinely self employed, such as the
                  contractual relationship between the parties,
                  the level of control a client maintains over the
                  LCC, financial risk taken by the LCC and
                  length of engagement. If you decide you wish
                  to enjoy the legal protections of the Conduct
                  Regulations and be treated akin to a PAYE
                  worker then the obligations owed to you by
                  the recruiter may affect the assessment of
                  your status for tax purposes under Inland
                  Revenue tests of self-employment. If you are
                  genuinely self-employed then you may wish
                  to consider opting out so as to maintain your
                  tax advantages.
                  If you do not meet the tests of selfemployment
                  then there may be less merit in
                  opting out in terms of your tax position.
                  Seems very strongly worded so it is no wonder the agents are convinced...
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

But it is of course all bollacks.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      But it is of course all bollacks.
                      Maybe so but this kind of miscommunication without reputable reference is a real problem. Agents just bung this out and sit on their laurals because it comes from REC and just plays on the greyness of IR35. They believe they have done their research and found a rock solid statement on the situation... and as you say, we know better that to take every word as said.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X