• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic limited company information

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic limited company information

Hi

I'm looking for some basic financial advice on limited companies.

If i know what i'm going to earn every month, what my expenses are and what my pension payments are, and how much i want to take home each month, is there a simple calculation that will work if the money left in the account is enough to pay all the taxes I will need to pay?

You could try a Google for contractor calculator".
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 May 2011, 08:19. Reason: link removed
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      You could try a Google for "contractor calculator".
      And have a look ath the contract guide links on the right of this page. Also the SJD website has excellent guides for free if you register.

If you need any detailed info on any subject at all, PM northernladuk, who is always very happy to help newbies with questions.

Comment

Originally posted by rollonfriday View Post
        Hi

If i know what i'm going to earn every month, what my expenses are and what my pension payments are, and how much i want to take home each month, is there a simple calculation that will work if the money left in the account is enough to pay all the taxes I will need to pay?
        You're thinking about this the wrong way.

You should be asking if there is enough left to pay your take home. Taxes come before take home, you're not PAYE now.

Comment

Moved to a marginally safer area. Though the responses so far have been pretty much spot on.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by rollonfriday View Post
            Hi

If you are operating as a Ltd it goes like this.

You get paid against your invoice.
            Deduct VAT ( assuming you are registered).
            Deduct your legitimate expenses.
            Deduct your salary.
            Deduct employers NI
            Deduct any employers pension contributions.
            Calculate Corporation Tax on what is left and deduct that.
            Distribute whats left after CT as dividends in whatever proportion you see fit based on your share distribution.

If salary + dividends doesnt cover your living expenses either spend less or find a better paying gig.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
            X