• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short contract North Africa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short contract North Africa

I have just been offered a week long contract in North Africa.

How do I go about getting paid for it? I operate through a LTD in the UK..How does it work in that part of the world...??? Could any experienced posters share their knowledge please??
    Last edited by valluvan; 16 March 2011, 10:55.

Originally posted by valluvan View Post
    I have just been offered a week long contract in North Africa.

How do I go about getting paid for it? I operate through a LTD in the UK..How does it work in that part of the world...??? Could any experienced posters share their knowledge please??
    Cash in hand or Blood Diamonds
    But seriously, is your client really a company registered there?
    I have worked with some co's operating in Africa and they had their invoicing HQ in Canada and Emirates respectively.

I suppose it is worth the hassle if you're asking, but is it really? Does the client pay for all the expenses, how is this arranged? North Africa isn't too bad actually, but you should get vaccinations and extra health insurance and include that in your rate...

Comment

Send them a bill.

I'm not quite sure what else you can do here.

If you think they're a bit dodgy you could try to get them to pay for your flight and Hotel.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by valluvan View Post
        Your LTD company can do business anywhere in the world. If you are working in other countries for more than 183 days then you should consider changing tax residency, if it's just a week then simply put it through the books of your UK company. Not sure about VAT, anyone know?

As xchaotic says, watch out for expenses or you might end up getting stiffed and making a loss. I'd be inclined to get the client to book flights and hotels up front (make sure the hotel is decent quality) so if they dick you around then it's their loss. Also agree some guideline (perhaps a per diem) for other expenses or just add £50 to your day rate to cover it.
        Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

When I was offered a similar deal I turned it down since the only gain to me would have been above what I was invoicing in the UK anyway. Given any uncetainty over getting paid, I turned it down. I have no doubt it was a real offer of a couple of weeks work, but it didn't seem worth it for the comparatively small gain over what I was invoicing anyway versus the risk of non payment.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Cheers for all the replies guys...do you know much a Uk day rate of 475 translate into the north african market for a week's worth of work(excluding flights,hotels,visa etc??)

Comment

If they want your skills then it translates to £475 if you take the advice about expenses above then it translates to £525!

Comment

I'd like to know a good source of leads for contract roles in less-obvious outside-UK locations like this if the OP or anyone else can comment? I see the usual Zurich/Brussels kind of stuff from time to time but don't know where to look for more interesting/unusual/dangerous/lucrative stuff...?

Comment

Originally posted by matzie View Post
                  I'd like to know a good source of leads for contract roles in less-obvious outside-UK locations like this if the OP or anyone else can comment? I see the usual Zurich/Brussels kind of stuff from time to time but don't know where to look for more interesting/unusual/dangerous/lucrative stuff...?
                  I usually get the odd email from agencies who claim to have seen my CV from the internet/jobsite.Haven't managed to get anything exotic outside the UK yet....

Comment

Originally posted by matzie View Post
                    Generally agencies come looking for you so:
                    1. Put your CV on Monster indicating you will work abroad in a lot of normal countries.
                    2. Apply for non-existent roles in foreign countries on jobserve

Then you will get start getting emails and phone calls asking you to work in weird places. The only thing is that sods law will predict that you will be in a contract when you get these interesting sounding offers made to you.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X