• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Short contract North Africa"

Collapse

• ascender
    replied
    Like a couple of others have said, it could be a very interesting contract, but be wary and use your common sense. I've done work in various African countries for a client and they can all vary greatly in terms of your own security, costs, working environment etc.

Its a great chance to spend some time in countries you may not ever visit otherwise and I had nothing but good experiences over there.

Innoculations aren't too expensive but will add up.
    The client can probably assist with visas and innoculations.
    Flights can be very expensive and internal ones over there can be, um, interesting.
    Will they provide security where required and what level is it? Infrastructure in place to keep you updated on changing security/political situation etc.
    Insurance.
    Accomodation - in hotels of a certain standard or maybe they have their own staff house?
    Living expenses will be cheap.
    Local manager/staff liason for you to cover the initial period where you're finding your feet with local customs etc.

All the up front stuff should be fine, but just be wary about leaving your own LTD exposed if you're having to deal with any companies/individuals in Africa. I don't know the circumstances, but getting reliable work done quickly and getting paid on time etc are a real problem with many of the local companies.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by valluvan View Post
    Cheers for all the replies guys...do you know much a Uk day rate of 475 translate into the north african market for a week's worth of work(excluding flights,hotels,visa etc??)
    Depends on if what part of North Africa it is. Could be an interesting job but it could also be a pile of trouble that you can do without. Without knowing more about the nature of the work or your personal circumstances and attitude to risk/adventure it's difficult to say.

I'd be inclined to avoid Libya and Egypt at the moment, check with the Foreign Office for advice. I'm also mindful that a lot of Africa's business involves 419 or bribery so watch your step. Also consider who you are doing business with (European/UK/US based company of African based?) and if they are credit worthy.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by matzie View Post
    I'd like to know a good source of leads for contract roles in less-obvious outside-UK locations like this if the OP or anyone else can comment? I see the usual Zurich/Brussels kind of stuff from time to time but don't know where to look for more interesting/unusual/dangerous/lucrative stuff...?
    Generally agencies come looking for you so:
    1. Put your CV on Monster indicating you will work abroad in a lot of normal countries.
    2. Apply for non-existent roles in foreign countries on jobserve

Then you will get start getting emails and phone calls asking you to work in weird places. The only thing is that sods law will predict that you will be in a contract when you get these interesting sounding offers made to you.

Leave a comment:

• valluvan
    replied
    Originally posted by matzie View Post
    I'd like to know a good source of leads for contract roles in less-obvious outside-UK locations like this if the OP or anyone else can comment? I see the usual Zurich/Brussels kind of stuff from time to time but don't know where to look for more interesting/unusual/dangerous/lucrative stuff...?
    I usually get the odd email from agencies who claim to have seen my CV from the internet/jobsite.Haven't managed to get anything exotic outside the UK yet....

Leave a comment:

• matzie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fragglerock
    replied
    If they want your skills then it translates to £475 if you take the advice about expenses above then it translates to £525!

Leave a comment:

• valluvan
    replied
    Cheers for all the replies guys...do you know much a Uk day rate of 475 translate into the north african market for a week's worth of work(excluding flights,hotels,visa etc??)

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    When I was offered a similar deal I turned it down since the only gain to me would have been above what I was invoicing in the UK anyway. Given any uncetainty over getting paid, I turned it down. I have no doubt it was a real offer of a couple of weeks work, but it didn't seem worth it for the comparatively small gain over what I was invoicing anyway versus the risk of non payment.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    How do I go about getting paid for it? I operate through a LTD in the UK..How does it work in that part of the world...??? Could any experienced posters share their knowledge please??
    Your LTD company can do business anywhere in the world. If you are working in other countries for more than 183 days then you should consider changing tax residency, if it's just a week then simply put it through the books of your UK company. Not sure about VAT, anyone know?

As xchaotic says, watch out for expenses or you might end up getting stiffed and making a loss. I'd be inclined to get the client to book flights and hotels up front (make sure the hotel is decent quality) so if they dick you around then it's their loss. Also agree some guideline (perhaps a per diem) for other expenses or just add £50 to your day rate to cover it.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Send them a bill.

I'm not quite sure what else you can do here.

If you think they're a bit dodgy you could try to get them to pay for your flight and Hotel.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    replied
    I have just been offered a week long contract in North Africa.

How do I go about getting paid for it? I operate through a LTD in the UK..How does it work in that part of the world...??? Could any experienced posters share their knowledge please??
    Cash in hand or Blood Diamonds
    But seriously, is your client really a company registered there?
    I have worked with some co's operating in Africa and they had their invoicing HQ in Canada and Emirates respectively.

I suppose it is worth the hassle if you're asking, but is it really? Does the client pay for all the expenses, how is this arranged? North Africa isn't too bad actually, but you should get vaccinations and extra health insurance and include that in your rate...

Leave a comment:

• valluvan
    started a topic Short contract North Africa

Short contract North Africa

I have just been offered a week long contract in North Africa.

Last edited by valluvan; 16 March 2011, 10:55.

Working...
X