• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two Offers - Need To Decide Which One QUICKLY

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Offers - Need To Decide Which One QUICKLY

Similar to my post from last week I am now faced with the following decision;

Role 1 - have had 3 interviews and am still in the frame with 1 other person. He is not being interviewed until mid next week and is also referenced from within client co

Role 2 - interviwed on Tues and offered role yesterday.

Both same rate more or less and roles very similar. However role 1 in London (train), role 2 90 mile round trip by car.

Role 1 has the slight edge because of the journey - should I accept role 2) or hang out still for rate 1) with decision to be made next week given this is still 50/50 ?

Any quick responses appreciated.

This looks like a case of bird in the hand to me.

You've got 1 offer on the table, the other one is purely a prospect and from the sounds of it the other guy stands a fair chance.

Comment

Take role one making sure you can get a 1st class ticket on the train so you have a seat.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Similar to my post from last week I am now faced with the following decision;

Role 1 - have had 3 interviews and am still in the frame with 1 other person. He is not being interviewed until mid next week and is also referenced from within client co

Role 2 - interviwed on Tues and offered role yesterday.

Both same rate more or less and roles very similar. However role 1 in London (train), role 2 90 mile round trip by car.

Role 1 has the slight edge because of the journey - should I accept role 2) or hang out still for rate 1) with decision to be made next week given this is still 50/50 ?

Any quick responses appreciated.
        Based on what you have said... Go for Role 1.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          Based on what you have said... Go for Role 1.
          You've got one offer (role 2) and one possible (role 1). Unless you can string role 2 along a week or so you may end up with no offers.

So take role 2
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Why not accept one with the caveat 'subject to contract review'. If the client is willing to swallow the slight delay it gives you the option to wait for the other one and also to turn down the first one as you haven't fully accepted it. Therefore you aren't commiting to either and introducing a time delay to be able to find out what the real situation is.

On the topic of travelling to gigs. I do a 90 mile round trip everyday and have done for the last 3 years. 90 mile round trip is only 45 miles each way. I travel out of Manchester so against the flow so the journey is fine. If it was into Manchester it would be an utter nightmare. It takes me about an hour to get to work but I am used to it and am happy to do it. Some people find an hour commute difficult to swallow but as a contractor I thought I had fallen pretty lucky. I have also some flexibility around times so can come in earlier or later to miss the rush hour and also some WFH capability. I hate trains, the hassle of catching them etc etc so to me the 90 mile round trip is a breeze. Make a packet on the mileage if you get an old but fuel efficient workhorse as well.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If I had to interview 3 times for a role than I would get a lot peeved. If they can't make a decision after two interviews, you have to wonder if the interviewers actually know what they are doing. I'd go for role 2 personally.

Comment

Originally posted by notpacino View Post
                If I had to interview 3 times for a role than I would get a lot peeved. If they can't make a decision after two interviews, you have to wonder if the interviewers actually know what they are doing. I'd go for role 2 personally.
                Definitely #2.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I was peed off after 1 telephone and 2 face to face interviews at my last place. If they are farting around after 3 interviews then fart on them.

Comment

To be harsh.
                    I think they want him not you! After multiple interviews they are still holding out for him.

Go for the bird in the hand!
                    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Working...
                    X