• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving contract

I'm currently in a contract that ends this week. The client is willing to renew, but the agency has been stalling since I asked for a rate rise. The first time the agent let it slip that a rate rise conversation had occurred (not that he told me, I had to ask), but today informed me that the client wasn't willing to pay extra.

To me that's fine. I'm used to agents conning contractors, and in the past 've just learned to live with it. I phoned the agent and told them I wasn't interested in renewing. The only problem is I have a conscience and would hate to leave the client with a resourcing problem (I've been working on a new project thats a week old). In the meantime, I've been snapped up by another client that pays more and I get to learn new products/skill set.

What's the best way to deal with the old client in this situation?

Thanks

Take the money on offer or don't renew. You've painted yourself into this corner, it's your call how to get out of it.

I pointed out a while back that clients do not give rate rises because you're still there, only if you have done something exceptional - they already pay you to be good. If he won't up the rate and the agent won't change their margin (and why should they? is how they would look at it), there ain't no other options. Next time point out to the agent that renewal is likley at no effort to them so how about a discount on the rate: but 99% of the time, for the sort of rise you're likely to get, it really isn't worth the hassle. And right now you don't have anything to bargain with.

But I suspect you alread know that...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      Take the money on offer or don't renew. You've painted yourself into this corner, it's your call how to get out of it.

I pointed out a while back that clients do not give rate rises because you're still there, only if you have done something exceptional - they already pay you to be good. If he won't up the rate and the agent won't change their margin (and why should they? is how they would look at it), there ain't no other options. Next time point out to the agent that renewal is likley at no effort to them so how about a discount on the rate: but 99% of the time, for the sort of rise you're likely to get, it really isn't worth the hassle. And right now you don't have anything to bargain with.

But I suspect you alread know that...
      I agree absolutely. I asked for a rise, client said no, I declined the renewal. That to me is one of the advantages of being a contractor. I already have a new contract lined up, so there is no need for me to renew.

The client confirmed to me that they wanted to extend. I got in touch with the agency to change terms of the contract to which they agreed, and then I inquired about the rate increase which the agent said was being discussed. This was last week, and only today has the agent got back to me, so i said, thanks but no thanks.

The only problem I have is that I feel guilty about letting the client down. Or as a contractor am I not supposed to feel guilty?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Blek
        The only problem I have is that I feel guilty about letting the client down. Or as a contractor am I not supposed to feel guilty?
        Are you letting them down? In the end that's for you to decide because it's a moral question. But I'd say it's not letting them down just because you decline to give them something that they'd happen to like (an extension at the same price) but that you don't really owe them.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
          Are you letting them down? In the end that's for you to decide because it's a moral question. But I'd say it's not letting them down just because you decline to give them something that they'd happen to like (an extension at the same price) but that you don't really owe them.
          I guess I need to keep it at a business level and not let it get personal. I'm sure if the boot was on the other foot ...

Comment

I guess I need to keep it at a business level and not let it get personal. I'm sure if the boot was on the other foot ...
            I have self-respect. I don't let people down, because I don't want to. But a deal is a deal; no deal is no deal.

You're assuming (which even the client may not) that you have an obligation to make another deal at the same price as the last one, if that should be what they want. From the facts given, I don't see that that's true.

Comment

If the client really wants you he'll pay; clearly the client sees that is cheaper to get someone else in train them and delay the project than to pay you extra. This isn't a moral question, it is "economics". However that particular project manager probably won't employ you again.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

You're not letting them down. They agreed to pay for your services for a certain time, and you agreed to supply them for a certain time. There was never any obligation on either party to extend that, so both parties should be completely satisfied.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Why should you take a guilt trip on this?

If the boot was on the other foot, and the client needed to get rid of you, do you think they would have any 'not wanting to let the contractor down' sentiments. Also, if they need you so much, then they should expect to make it worth your while. If they are not prepared to pay a little extra to keep a contractor who has expeniance of their working practices and environment, then that is their problem. How much will it cost to get a newbie in and how long until the new guy is up to speed?

If you do not want to extend at the end of a contract then it is purely your decision. The only thing I would consider is the prospect of future work. If that prospect is slim and they won't play ball on the rate, then feck 'em.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Expat's dead right. You signed a contract X months ago to work for X months. You've fulfilled that contract. Nobody's under any obligation to do the same deal again, and nobody should be automatically expecting it.

OK so you may have led them on a bit, and feel a bit daft now that your policy has changed. Just tell them circumstances have changed. They'll survive.

Even better, post some info about the contract and maybe somebody on the board will be happy to take your place.

If this is your biggest problem right now, count yourself lucky!

tl

Comment

Working...
                    X