• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

agency unfairly pressuring me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agency unfairly pressuring me

an agency i'm currently associated with are trying to place me in a role that requires a security background check. i've pointed out to them from the beginning that i'm not happy to supply that information or go through that process (for my own personal reasons).

today one of the director's of the aforementioned agency threatened to pass on my personal information to the employer regardless.

apart from being completely unethical, can they actually do that?

No they can't. Contact DTI and Citizens Advice Bureau, and importantly, tell the agency that you are about to do this.

Comment

Your signature is required before any security check - are they going to forge that!!!!

You have rights under the DPA as already stated I suggest that you make a complaint as high as possible in the Agency plus anything such as ATSCO if they belong to it. I would suspect it is just the employee of the Agency rather than the Agency themselves but none the les needs dealing with.

Comment

cheers for that. they don't have my signature - i'll see how far i can take it.

i think the person in question is quite high-up in the company. he contacted me after the main guy couldn't get me to agree to do the security check. i'm pretty sure he's a director, but i'll have to confirm that.

Comment

This is, as mentioned, a DPA issue. Your first step is to talk to the Data Controller at the agency and warn them that they are going to break the Law by doing this.

If they aren't that worried then your next step is the Information Commissioners Office. Go here:

http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx

and oh yeah - get a new agent...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

looking into it, the agency doesn't appear to be a memeber of ATSCO - which should have been a warning.

Comment

Originally posted by contractoruk2006
              an agency i'm currently associated with are trying to place me in a role that requires a security background check. i've pointed out to them from the beginning that i'm not happy to supply that information or go through that process (for my own personal reasons).

today one of the director's of the aforementioned agency threatened to pass on my personal information to the employer regardless.

apart from being completely unethical, can they actually do that?
              Who do these people think they are? and why does anyone do business with them? You must report this to Atsco
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

thats not relevant in this case. It's the Data protection Act which, well, protects your data, here.

They can be fined and also lose the ability to collect and hold personal information (which obviously impacts on their ability to perform).
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Incidentally - obviously I have no idea why you don't want to go through clearance, nor do I want to, but it's worth remembering that a surprising number of things that you might think would prevent you getting it are actually permitted. What they don't like is people not telling the truth. And the bit where you lay out all the embarassing details will be in a sealed envelope so only you and the clearance officer will ever see it.

But I agree, the agency (or more likely the tosser of an agent) needs a severe kicking. You'd never get SC without your express consent anyway.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
                    Incidentally - obviously I have no idea why you don't want to go through clearance, nor do I want to, but it's worth remembering that a surprising number of things that you might think would prevent you getting it are actually permitted. What they don't like is people not telling the truth. And the bit where you lay out all the embarassing details will be in a sealed envelope so only you and the clearance officer will ever see it.

But I agree, the agency (or more likely the tosser of an agent) needs a severe kicking. You'd never get SC without your express consent anyway.
                    i genuinely don't have anything hide, it's purely a matter of principle. the contract is between two companies, not between the company and myself. therefore the company i work for (my company), should do the vetting and guarantee to the client that all consultants have been vetted satisfactorily.

that was my original point that i put to the agency in the first place, they agreed in principle but later insisted i change my mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X