• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "agency unfairly pressuring me"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    In total agreement with you Mal...Im also of the opinion that NOTHING ever happens in IT that can be considered a surprise!

If you suddenly find you need to have someone onsite within the next 2 hours then thats just poor planning on your behalf!

Mailman
    Although I wonder how many of us contractors have had cause to be grateful for the lack of IT project planning, in the shape of immediate start, name-your-rate contracts.

Long may it continue.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    In total agreement with you Mal...Im also of the opinion that NOTHING ever happens in IT that can be considered a surprise!

If you suddenly find you need to have someone onsite within the next 2 hours then thats just poor planning on your behalf!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    This just may be a case in point. You can use uncleared people where a cleared person can provide adequate oversight and ensure the uncleared person does not see material they aren't supposed to (there is another wrinkle to that, but let's not over-complicate things). However a tester has really to work in isolation or compromise his testing, which makes it hard to provide adequate oversight. If we further assume this is a mission critical piece of work, then the SC may be justified.

That said, having got into that situation is evidence of piss poor planning somwhere along the line!

Leave a comment:

• IT contract agent
    replied
    Thought you guys would have a field day with this..just seen it

LoadRunner, 'SC' Security Clearance My client is urgently seeking an experienced Performance Test Analyst to work with them on a high-profile project. A minimum of 3 years LoadRunner experience along with current and valid 'SC' level Security Clearance are essential for this role. As this role has a start date of Monday, only candidates who are currently available can be considered.
    Location London
    Country England
    Start Date 20/03/2006
    Duration 3 months
    Rate £375 - £410 per day
    Employment Business MSB International PLC (Manchester)
    Contact Adam Withenshaw
    Telephone 01625 44 44 44
    Fax 01625 44 44 02
    Email [email protected]
    Reference JSJ030922/AW1
    Posted Date 16/03/2006 11:43:49

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Originally posted by Chappo
    but its likea chicken and egg scenario, you cant get a job because you need sc clearance, but you cant get sc clearance until you get a sponsor....
    Which is why the guidelines mention that new recruits without SC's should be given tasks where such a clearance isnt needed straight away and once their SC comes through they can move on to more "sensitive" stuff.

It would be nice if you could 'pre-register' yourself or your business so as to save all this angst!
    HAHAHA..we live in England...since when has "common sense" EVER been part of how this country is run?

BUT...seriously...your suggestion is a good idea. Just a pity good ideas arent the done thing here eh?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by IT contract agent
    If a hiring manager has an urgent need and candidates need to be security cleared then me thinks we should be able to advertise for security cleared candidates. If its the case that Mr Manager can wait 6 weeks then sure put in "or willing to undergo security clearance"
    Oh yes, agreed. Clearly there are situations where you can't hang around for clearance - the obvious example is a replacement syadmin, where you can't easily oversee their work. But that should be made clear in the advert, IMHO - I got bounced once for not having current SC where the job was to source and deliver a training programme on Change Management: now that is just ridiculous (and, incidentally, is why I started making waves at the DVA. So you can blame me for the current guidelines to recruiters!)

Leave a comment:

• Chappo
    replied
    but its likea chicken and egg scenario, you cant get a job because you need sc clearance, but you cant get sc clearance until you get a sponsor....

It would be nice if you could 'pre-register' yourself or your business so as to save all this angst!

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    No, you have to be sponsored.

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Chappo
    replied
    is it possible to apply for sc by yourself?

Leave a comment:

• IT contract agent
    replied
    If a hiring manager has an urgent need and candidates need to be security cleared then me thinks we should be able to advertise for security cleared candidates. If its the case that Mr Manager can wait 6 weeks then sure put in "or willing to undergo security clearance"

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    what have I failed to understand???
    That you cannot make a job application dependent on the candidate already having clearance. The ministry will have made provision for that in their budget: sadly the EDS-type big contractors usually ignore that, usually to save them money getting people cleared and ask you recruiters for cleared-only applicants. Then you get smacked by DVA and the like for doing what your client asked.

Is that Arses to all in HR???? me welsh is a little rusty
    Close, but dim sigar, bach: there's always Google. Hwyl mawr!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

I think Malvolio is going through "an agreeing with agents" crisis

Leave a comment:

• IT contract agent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    what do you want mailman???? - should we only advertise a .net role by saying willing to undergo .net training???
    Yet again, you fail to understand the product and the rules of the game you're supposed to follow. You really, really sure you're a contractor salesman?

Leave a comment:

• IT contract agent
    replied
    what do you want mailman???? - should we only advertise a .net role by saying willing to undergo .net training???

Leave a comment:

Working...
X