• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you think about the agency workers regulations?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think about the agency workers regulations?

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to see if i could get some opinons surronding the agency workers regulations (AWR).

The fundamental principle of the AWR is to provide agency workers with the same basic working and employment conditions as an equivalent permanent employee after a qualifying period; this being just twelve weeks. The main objective is to protect the lower paid, more vulnerable workers from being exploited by unscrupulous hirers.

The regulations are set to be implemented in October 2011 - do you welcome the regulations or oppose this increase in red tape? it will be interesting to hear some views from contractors.

Gerry

I'm not an agency worker. I'm a freelance software engineer who sells his services to those that will pay.

I think you'll find that there are very few "Agency Workers" on this forum for "IT Contractors".

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      I'm not an agency worker. I'm a freelance software engineer who sells his services to those that will pay.

I think you'll find that there are very few "Agency Workers" on this forum for "IT Contractors".
      Do you use an agency? Unfortunately SS you won't be the one deciding the who falls 'inside' the definition.

I just hope they do the sensible thing and have an opt out.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        Do you use an agency? Unfortunately SS you won't be the one deciding the who falls 'inside' the definition.

I just hope they do the sensible thing and have an opt out.
        I can always vote with my feet.

Comment

Even with respect to real agency workers this is more crap legislation. It should not be the function of companies to provide any sort of employee benefit except pay proportional to the value of the job done. Personally I'd scap the whole lot, maternity pay, sick pay and whatever and make people take out state regulated insurance.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Its a nightmare. You have to confirm the Agency workers pay and benefits are equal to the regular employees imagine how much fun that will be.

2 days work and sign up for a pension.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The regulations are pointless.

In lots of cases companies use real temps for all positions that are equivalent so there is no permie comparator. Who would a company compare their one temp receptionist or one temp admin assistant with?

You could argue other secretaries or admin assistants but lots of companies that employ such temp employees don't have any other permie staff doing equivalent work.

Also companies that this is targeted at can easily ensure that all their workers are temps because a lot of them have been doing that for donkeys of years. I know because I worked at such companies in my youth.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They will not apply to contractors working through their own limited companies. They will, however, apply to umbrella workers. So yes, quite a lot of people do need to understand them
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Wanted to bump this up as was surprised there was so little interest in this.

This will affect ANY contractor working via an agency! May be less impact on those working via their own Ltdco than those working via Umbrella company - but will be impact all the same.

A lot of Clientco HR departments are going to be paranoid about this, so another microscope look at status of contractors on-site in their organisations.

Ties in with the drive for some agency's selling employed consultant model (other thread) - looking to be compliant to the AWR regs and reassure cleintco HR.

Would be interested to hear what / how your agents & clientcos are talking to you about this and your thoughts on the impact it will have to your business and the industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Another Agents View View Post

Ties in with the drive for some agency's selling employed consultant model (other thread) - looking to be compliant to the AWR regs and reassure cleintco HR.
                    Link please

I think I've asked this before - but why can't we have a relationship with agents like 'proper' agents?

e.g. Agent calls me up says "Hi Jubbs - I've got a contract here worth 26k - you interested? My cut is 15%"

If I am a contract is drawn up between my company and the client's company and I then pay the agent his 15% in stage payments at the same frequency as I invoice the client? Proper business to business relationship set up between companies and the agent bills me for the dosh.

Comment

Working...
                    X