• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV: Including ad-hoc roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV: Including ad-hoc roles

Good afternoon

I have been out of contract for a few months but have been doing some ad-hoc IT Support in my local area to keep me busy and some income coming in.

Would it be a good idea to include this on my CV to account for the gap since my last contract?

I'm not sure it warrants it's own entry but perhaps a cursory mention would suffice.

Would welcome any thoughts/experiences of similar.

Yes, put them in. Those ad-hoc jobs are as important for your CV as they are for the money coming in.

It shows that you're wanted and pro-active when it comes to finding work.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Does it compliment your current skill set and roles you are looking for. If not I would leave it or attempt to use the elements you have picked up to compliment what you are after. Lazy agents (and clients) will read the last role and bin/read further from there. If you are a senior programme manager and you have a few months of IT support then you are f***ed.

If it helps use it, if it doesn't drop it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Good question.

Whenever I have a gap of more than a month or two I include a one liner (including dates) in the main body of my CV under career history called "Between contracts." That line refers the reader to a short paragraph at the back of the CV indicating what I was doing for the months in question, which also includes non work related activities such as travelling and pastimes.

I have never had any issues with agencies or employers using this approach, and some of my best roles have come about by being able to discuss this information, such as mutually visited holiday destinations and activities with interviewers.

Best of luck finding a role soon.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
          Good question.

Whenever I have a gap of more than a month or two I include a one liner (including dates) in the main body of my CV under career history called "Between contracts." That line refers the reader to a short paragraph at the back of the CV indicating what I was doing for the months in question, which also includes non work related activities such as travelling and pastimes.

I have never had any issues with agencies or employers using this approach, and some of my best roles have come about by being able to discuss this information, such as mutually visited holiday destinations and activities with interviewers.

Best of luck finding a role soon.
          In my sales presentation (CV) I only states main projects worked on. I leave any smaller pieces out and would not state what I have been doing on my holidays (between contracts).

Comment

Thank you - some interesting viewpoints.

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
            In my sales presentation (CV) I only states main projects worked on. I leave any smaller pieces out and would not state what I have been doing on my holidays (between contracts).
            So, if you were out of contract for several months how would you account for this period on your CV?

Comment

Am bored and slightly off topic but did you know the differences between singular and plural CVs? Quite interesting really..

Singular CV - Curriculum Vitae
              Multiple's of YOUR CV - Curricula Vitae
              Multiple CV's of different people - Curricula Vitarum
              Single CV of multiple lives - Curriculum Vitarum (but only eligable for for cats and maybe Buddhists)

Vitae relates to your life so you cannot pluralise this word as you do not have many lives. Curriculum means the course of so you can have multiple courses.

So Curriculum Vitae roughtly translates to the course of your life.

Interesting huh.....

Mock me if you want but I bet plenty of people are going to edit their CV's right now!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hicks View Post
                Thank you - some interesting viewpoints.

So, if you were out of contract for several months how would you account for this period on your CV?
                By leaving it blank, unless I am working on a very interesting internal project.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Am bored and slightly off topic but did you know the differences between singular and plural CVs? Quite interesting really..
                  Show off.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
                    If that way works for you then great.
                    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
                    X