• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV: Including ad-hoc roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Show off.
    I thanqew!! <switches google off and bows>
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 September 2010, 17:18.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hicks View Post
      I have been out of contract for a few months but have been doing some ad-hoc IT Support in my local area to keep me busy and some income coming in. Would it be a good idea to include this on my CV to account for the gap since my last contract?
      Re-write it to put all the ad-hoc work under one heading as if you were a consultancy business:

Hicks Consultants Limited

Consultancy services to a range of customers in including x, y and z. Doing projects for a, b and c. Blah blah blah. Successfully delivered this and that using these things.

That covers gaps where you weren't working and a number of short term contracts. Give them the impression that you provide ad-hoc consultancy services to your clients as and when needed rather than a permie-tractor job where you do a 9-5 for 6 months.

Could go either way though - they may respect you more as a business man or they may worry that you'll be on the phone all day wheeling and dealing when they want a 9-5 permie-tractor who is 100% focused on their project.
      Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Am bored and slightly off topic but did you know the differences between singular and plural CVs? Quite interesting really..

Singular CV - Curriculum Vitae
        Multiple's of YOUR CV - Curricula Vitae
        Multiple CV's of different people - Curricula Vitarum
        Single CV of multiple lives - Curriculum Vitarum (but only eligable for for cats and maybe Buddhists)

Vitae relates to your life so you cannot pluralise this word as you do not have many lives. Curriculum means the course of so you can have multiple courses.

So Curriculum Vitae roughtly translates to the course of your life.

Interesting huh.....

Mock me if you want but I bet plenty of people are going to edit their CV's right now!
        And I got an 'O' Level in Latin to learn this.....

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
          Well at least it is useful for something.

I only found it useful when I was stuck in a museum in Catalonia and there weren't any English descriptions.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
            Ohhh get you!!! Judging by your post on what agents do and how they influence IR35 your time might have been spent better reading other things

The post was mainly aimed at us dweebs who never bothered with Latin (would abuse the usefulness of a Latin O level but I have a feeling a few people have one so will shut up) and infact to correct a very popular misconception. You would not believe how many dicussions there are on the web that have this wrong. Even the wikipedia page on CV's has it wrong in the discussion area. It's not so much the latin wording that people get wrong, it is the correlation between single/many people and single/many lives people get wrong. People directly translate the words but not understand the true meaning. The most popular mistake is people using Curriculum Vitaum not understanding the plural should be on the first word not the second.

While I found it quite interesting anyway as my grasp on the English language is pretty poor let alone knowing a bit about Latin
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X