• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working Hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find all this talk of 7, 7.5 and 8 hours being a professional working day quite strange. I normally work 8am to 4:30pm. However, when there's lots on I put in the time that's needed, within reason. If that means occassionally being in until 8pm then I'll do it, but not more (and not too often).

Perhaps the difference is that I decide whether my workload is high and I need to do extra hours rather than a manager requiring me to work extra? If that were the cause I'd probably resent it.
    Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      There's no point arguing with an agent about a contractor's working or delivery style. The only things you can actually have an informed discussion on are;

Bryl cream or Loreal : Which one for a less greasy looking do
      3 series or A4 : Which one says "I've arrived"
      Braces and White collar striped shirts : "Retro 80's look" or "Geko will always be cool"

HTH
      WHS
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
        I find all this talk of 7, 7.5 and 8 hours being a professional working day quite strange. I normally work 8am to 4:30pm. However, when there's lots on I put in the time that's needed, within reason. If that means occassionally being in until 8pm then I'll do it, but not more (and not too often).

Perhaps the difference is that I decide whether my workload is high and I need to do extra hours rather than a manager requiring me to work extra? If that were the cause I'd probably resent it.
        I am normally paid by the day, and normally work 5 days a week. I aim to do a professional week, due to travelling to and from site, putting in between 35 and 40 hours a week plus the travelling. This normally means either put all the hours in Monday to Thursday and working from home on the Friday having a fairly easy day - or else if on site all week coming in late on the Monday and leaving very early on the Friday.

Comment

One thing not mentioned in this thread is that some contractors have more than one client so it's not always possible to do extra hours for one client.

Though some clients like agents having hard time understanding that they don't owe all the hours you have available to work.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
            As a contractor that is plain stupid to do, if you get to much work done to quick you either get terminated early or there will be no extension!
            It's pretty stupid for an agent to be suggesting that contractors should bill less, as well.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by dynamicsaxcontractor View Post
              I am normally paid by the day, and normally work 5 days a week. I aim to do a professional week, due to travelling to and from site, putting in between 35 and 40 hours a week plus the travelling. This normally means either put all the hours in Monday to Thursday and working from home on the Friday having a fairly easy day - or else if on site all week coming in late on the Monday and leaving very early on the Friday.
              That's my approach, too.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Does anyone take extra long lunch breaks, like 1.5 hours to fit in the gym or something in the middle of the day? My current client couldn't care less what times I'm here as long as the work gets done (I've changed my arrival/leaving routine about 4 times now over the last 6 months), but it sounds like some clients would spew tacks if you were AFK for more than 30min?

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
                  Get rid of you when they don't need you?? Up to a year you can get rid of a permie for looking at you in the wrong way pretty easily - a contractor who is plodding in the hope of an extension, is ultimately, a worthless contractor.
                  Dude, you need a holiday and chill out a bit.

It seems strange to have to spell this out to an agent but here goes.

A permie is a head count paid out of the head count budget, if you sack a permie then the manager will want to keep the head count the same and replace him/her with someone else. And it's bad for business to go hiring and firing your permies all the time, it makes for bad feeling and high staff turnover which is perceived to be a negative working environment.

A contractor is paid for out of a project budget (or some slush fund), they are not head count and no long term relationship is implied or expected. Project comes along, client don't have the head count (and don't want to increase head count and be lumbered with someone for life) so they get contractors in. Contractors knuckle down and do the job, hand it over to the permies for care and maintenance and then leave. Project goes tits up, manager gets angry hold a kangaroo court and sack the contractors (rightly or wrongly). Contractors don't take it personally, client managers are seen to have taken decisive action. Alternatively, project goes well, everyone is happy, contractor buys the beers and moves on. Next project comes up, you try and get the same contractors back in if you can.
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                  X