• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Times to get tough again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    BS. Course you can sum the market up in one paragraph. My point is that the reality we are looking at is.. more difficult market conditions due to the cuts and growing sovereign debt problems (Bit more of an intelligent way to put it northernlad ). Ofcourse we could just ignore it and stick our heads in the sand.

However I do agree with you that now is the time to reskill
    Utter rubbish. Contracting is the way we get our work, it isn't a market. It covers many different skills/technologies. Some are on their backs, some are growing and some niches never went down. You cannot cover all these in one statement. To make a reasoned and sensible point accross would take you a bit more than one sum.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      What I've heard from agents several times over the past 18 months is "lots more contractors on the market but the quality is crap."
      Heard pretty much same last week from agent i worked with a while back, his theory was the decent contactors get snapped up fast but because market is still unstable they are staying a lot longer in their current roles than they would normally

Leaving large pool of unqualified/inexperienced/ out of work permies with the odd gem in the pile

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
        Heard pretty much same last week from agent i worked with a while back, his theory was the decent contactors get snapped up fast but because market is still unstable they are staying a lot longer in their current roles than they would normally

Leaving large pool of unqualified/inexperienced/ out of work permies with the odd gem in the pile
        That's my experience of it so far. The client (bank) has been looking for a contractor recently only very mediocre candidates came forward. In interview I wasn't impressed in the slightest. The guys I wanted to bring in are all in contract already, and understandably weren't prepared to jump ship early.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
          However I do agree with you that now is the time to reskill
          Which skills would those be?
          nomadd liked this post

Comment

Yep, an agent told me that a role at BP keeps getting readvertised as the contractors applying were not up to scratch - rate has increased £125 just to get the right people interested. It was nice to hear that things are perhaps on the up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
              Yep, an agent told me that a role at BP keeps getting readvertised as the contractors applying were not up to scratch - rate has increased £125 just to get the right people interested. It was nice to hear that things are perhaps on the up.
              Hope Obama's not reading this
              Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                Depends on how the axe falls on Tuesday and how many public sector people flood the private sector.

Problem with many redundancies is that you find the contract market is suddenly overflowing with people taking low rates because as formie permies they think that half the market rate is soooooo good.

Last edited by norrahe; 20 June 2010, 14:20.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  Depends on how the axe falls on Tuesday and how many public sector people flood the private sector.

Problem with many redundancies is that you find the contract market is suddenly overflowing with people taking low rates because as formie permies they think that half the market rate is soooooo good.

Well half a cake is better than no cake especially when you are in a prolonged period
                  of economic uncertainty as this appears to be turning out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

I hope the market treats these individuals with the contempt they deserve - don't forget, hirers from the public sector rejected more than competent individuals for roles due to no public sector experience.

What goes around comes around...

Comment

Working...
                    X