• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Times to get tough again"

Collapse

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Depends on how the axe falls on Tuesday and how many public sector people flood the private sector.

Problem with many redundancies is that you find the contract market is suddenly overflowing with people taking low rates because as formie permies they think that half the market rate is soooooo good.

I hope the market treats these individuals with the contempt they deserve - don't forget, hirers from the public sector rejected more than competent individuals for roles due to no public sector experience.

What goes around comes around...

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Depends on how the axe falls on Tuesday and how many public sector people flood the private sector.

Problem with many redundancies is that you find the contract market is suddenly overflowing with people taking low rates because as formie permies they think that half the market rate is soooooo good.

Well half a cake is better than no cake especially when you are in a prolonged period
    of economic uncertainty as this appears to be turning out to be.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Yep, an agent told me that a role at BP keeps getting readvertised as the contractors applying were not up to scratch - rate has increased £125 just to get the right people interested. It was nice to hear that things are perhaps on the up.

Last edited by norrahe; 20 June 2010, 14:20.

Leave a comment:

• MrMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Tingles View Post
    Yep, an agent told me that a role at BP keeps getting readvertised as the contractors applying were not up to scratch - rate has increased £125 just to get the right people interested. It was nice to hear that things are perhaps on the up.
    Hope Obama's not reading this

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    However I do agree with you that now is the time to reskill
    Which skills would those be?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
    Heard pretty much same last week from agent i worked with a while back, his theory was the decent contactors get snapped up fast but because market is still unstable they are staying a lot longer in their current roles than they would normally

Leaving large pool of unqualified/inexperienced/ out of work permies with the odd gem in the pile
    That's my experience of it so far. The client (bank) has been looking for a contractor recently only very mediocre candidates came forward. In interview I wasn't impressed in the slightest. The guys I wanted to bring in are all in contract already, and understandably weren't prepared to jump ship early.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    What I've heard from agents several times over the past 18 months is "lots more contractors on the market but the quality is crap."
    Heard pretty much same last week from agent i worked with a while back, his theory was the decent contactors get snapped up fast but because market is still unstable they are staying a lot longer in their current roles than they would normally

Leaving large pool of unqualified/inexperienced/ out of work permies with the odd gem in the pile

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    BS. Course you can sum the market up in one paragraph. My point is that the reality we are looking at is.. more difficult market conditions due to the cuts and growing sovereign debt problems (Bit more of an intelligent way to put it northernlad ). Ofcourse we could just ignore it and stick our heads in the sand.

Utter rubbish. Contracting is the way we get our work, it isn't a market. It covers many different skills/technologies. Some are on their backs, some are growing and some niches never went down. You cannot cover all these in one statement. To make a reasoned and sensible point accross would take you a bit more than one sum.

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Thats quite a generalisation and not worth the time taken to write it IMO. You can't sum up the whole market in on BS paragraph.
    BS. Course you can sum the market up in one paragraph. My point is that the reality we are looking at is.. more difficult market conditions due to the cuts and growing sovereign debt problems (Bit more of an intelligent way to put it northernlad ). Ofcourse we could just ignore it and stick our heads in the sand.

Leave a comment:

• Manic
    replied
    I'm not looking for a new contract just yet but maybe in the near future.
    I am guessing that there will downward pressure on rates again when the Lib-Con axe falls.

Loads more contractors on the market = lower rates + harder to get contracts ?

(And ofcourse agents will start using it as an excuse to bump rates down)
    Not necessarily. As the cuts come, business will start investing, the pound will get stronger and confidence goes up.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by stillooking View Post
    but thanks for pointing things out that don't apply to me.
    Don't mention it

Are you still benched?

Leave a comment:

• stillooking
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post

Agents have a much better view on the market than we do. They're dealing with it every day. We only have to consider it when looking for a new contract, which for some contractors is less than every 2 years!

Don't shut agents out completely they see things which you can't

Based on your message, I'm better informed than you -by a long way.

I don't shut agents out, some are ok and I do see the picture, but thanks for pointing things out that don't apply to me.
    Last edited by stillooking; 18 June 2010, 13:40.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I'm not looking for a new contract just yet but maybe in the near future.
    I am guessing that there will downward pressure on rates again when the Lib-Con axe falls.

Loads more contractors on the market = lower rates + harder to get contracts ?

(And ofcourse agents will start using it as an excuse to bump rates down)
    Thats quite a generalisation and not worth the time taken to write it IMO. You can't sum up the whole market in on BS paragraph.

If you are guessing like that why not start getting skilled up in niche work and look for areas that are not harder to get rather than crying about it?

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by stillooking View Post
    I've heard the first part i.e. "that there is lots of contractors on the mkt" but not the second part. An agents perspective or opinion should be taken lightly.
    Depends on the agent, some actually know what they're talking about.

Agents have a much better view on the market than we do. They're dealing with it every day. We only have to consider it when looking for a new contract, which for some contractors is less than every 2 years!

Its in an agents best interests to keep the good guys informed, they don't actually like it when a client ditches a contractor because they're crap. It's not good for repeat business and they've lost the revenue from that contract.

Don't shut agents out completely they see things which you can't

Leave a comment:

Working...
X