• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview rejections

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview rejections

Does anyone else take them personally

The feedback they give is a fecking joke. It's like they've confused you with someone else.
    Blood in your poo

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post

The feedback they give is a fecking joke. It's like they've confused you with someone else.
    No.

I don't get rejected often, but when I do, it's usually hilarious.
    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Not as much as I use to before. If I were given 2 contracts, I would not hesitate to reject one over the other. Clients are the same with contractors.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
        No.

I don't get rejected often, but when I do, it's usually hilarious.
        That was only my second ever rejection and the other was for a permie role so that doesn't count
        Blood in your poo

Comment

Employers will NEVER disclose proper reason for rejection. If they do, employees might sue them for discrimination (under any circumstances). In fact, nowadays one can't reject a candidate if they seem to have less IQ.

Comment

Try to forget it, there are a number of reasons why you didn't get it and not all are down to you. They might be going through the motions with someone in mind, someone might have worked there before or been personally recommended or they might be an absolute perfect fit for the role. Forget the feedback, I never gave any when I was interviewing, I just preferred one person, the agencies will just make something up to fob you off.
            I did get a knock back one time for being a bit full-on (this is a while ago when I used to get nervous). I demanded the agency get me back in and amazingly the company agreed, as I arrived there was a bomb scare and the interview took place in the canteen surrounded by people, I stayed nearly 6 years...

Comment

Not an interview rejection but a CV rejection.

Applied for a permie role with a large local Global corporate - good package, local etc.

After 10 days, got an automated email saying my application was not being selected for progression.

Really pissed off (try as much as tried not to be) so replied back to the email saying thanks but felt I was a good fit and would appreciate some feedback. To my surprise, get an email back saying give me a call to discuss further.

Spoke to the HR bod who, bearing in mind could have ignored my request, was very helpful and told me that:

They had had nearly 100 applications for the role most of which were submitted when the role went live.
              Despite the role having a closing date for applying, I got the impression that applications were being reviewed/selected on the fly and not once the deadline had passed.

There is a heavy slant towards individuals with industry experience, even if this is irrelevant, and there is a lot of favouritism towards individuals who are either already working for the company and looking for career progression regardless of whether they have the full skillset or individuals who have been referred on by a friend or colleague. For this role, which turned out being for 2 positions, one went to somebody with industry experience and one went to someone who worked on the development of one of the core apps - and this was a service delivery role!

She also gave me feedback on my CV and it looks like the new format I tried let me down which is a pisser as the previous format was what she was looking for. Having said that, I still don't think I would have got any further due to the reasons mentioned above.

Difficult to compete when the odds are stacked against you like that!

Comment

I was once turned down for an interview for a public sector role I had previously done. I was very surprised by this and called my old clentco manager, to say I believed he was looking again and I had submitted, but had not been selected for interview, he was suprised to hear this.
                24hrs later I got a call asking if I'd come for an interview. HR had sorted through the CV's and had rejected mine. Clientco manager told HR he wanted to interview me.
                Often the reason your CV doesn't get through is because of the huge wall of stupidity called HR, who simply don't know WTF they are doing.
                I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Myself, I still have a 100% interview to contract conversion rate. But I think I'd not take a lot of notice if/when I do get a "Dear John".
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

That was only my second ever rejection and the other was for a permie role so that doesn't count
                    Not even good enough to be a permie
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X