• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview rejections"

Collapse

• dspsyssts
    replied
    As soon as I leave any interview I presume I will fail and immediately continue with applications for the next potential job. I never leave thinking "oh that went really well I think, hope I get it!"

When the rejection arrives just bin and forget.

One time I was lucky enough to have two offers and I took delight in writing to one to the effect "thank you for your offer of employment, unfortunately on this occasion you haven't been successful in securing my services but I will keep your file on record if there is a change in my situation"

F**k 'em.

What narks me are the pimps who don't even bother to let you know you have received a neg' because they don't want to waste the time/money in sending out a one line email saying as much.

Leave a comment:

• TheOmegaMan
    replied
    The hiring manager makes his decision on grounds of self-interest, which may not be company interests. That may involve taking account of your skills and abilities, but in a competitive market many people can do most jobs.

Your rejection results from the manager finding someone else (or noone at all) who best promotes his interests. This explains the large number of incompetent numpties in employment; at some point they were valuable to someone. Entire careers have been forged by incompetent fu*kwits working in British companies using the skills of other to further their own aims.

You should feel the same sense of rejection as does Waitrose, when you shop at Sainsburys.
    Last edited by TheOmegaMan; 1 May 2010, 18:08.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Nope, only been rejected after an interview(which was this year and runied my fabled 100% interview to offer record over 13 years contracting)!!!!

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    I was once turned down for an interview for a public sector role I had previously done. I was very surprised by this and called my old clentco manager, to say I believed he was looking again and I had submitted, but had not been selected for interview, he was suprised to hear this.
    24hrs later I got a call asking if I'd come for an interview. HR had sorted through the CV's and had rejected mine. Clientco manager told HR he wanted to interview me.
    Often the reason your CV doesn't get through is because of the huge wall of stupidity called HR, who simply don't know WTF they are doing.
    WSS with bells on.

Mr N has been rejected for jobs he has done before in similar industries because the twunt in HR doesn't understand his CV. He once had an initial phone interview with HR who couldn't get past the idea he has 20 years industry experience and kept asking him if his previous role was his first after uni????????????????????
    So the other 12 years worth of jobs weren't being factored in.

Where do they get these people.

As for interview rejections, I just ignore them these days and move on to the next one.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    Sometimes you just will not get the gig, no matter how good you are and how well you performed at interview. Get over it. And if you have got a 100% interview record, then perhaps you are underselling yourself?

Generally at the start of a big work program, lots of people are getting hired, and you will find you can walk into a role without many questions. Near the end of a project clients tend to be more fussy: you will often be replacing someone and they will be looking for a certain 'fit'. And the worst interviews of all are conducted by other contractors...!

Leave a comment:

• Green Mango
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
    Does anyone else take them personally

The feedback they give is a fecking joke. It's like they've confused you with someone else.
    Well I feel the interview is just a game.

Don't take the rejection personally....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That was only my second ever rejection and the other was for a permie role so that doesn't count
    Not even good enough to be a permie

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Myself, I still have a 100% interview to contract conversion rate. But I think I'd not take a lot of notice if/when I do get a "Dear John".

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    I was once turned down for an interview for a public sector role I had previously done. I was very surprised by this and called my old clentco manager, to say I believed he was looking again and I had submitted, but had not been selected for interview, he was suprised to hear this.
    24hrs later I got a call asking if I'd come for an interview. HR had sorted through the CV's and had rejected mine. Clientco manager told HR he wanted to interview me.
    Often the reason your CV doesn't get through is because of the huge wall of stupidity called HR, who simply don't know WTF they are doing.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Not an interview rejection but a CV rejection.

Applied for a permie role with a large local Global corporate - good package, local etc.

After 10 days, got an automated email saying my application was not being selected for progression.

Really pissed off (try as much as tried not to be) so replied back to the email saying thanks but felt I was a good fit and would appreciate some feedback. To my surprise, get an email back saying give me a call to discuss further.

Spoke to the HR bod who, bearing in mind could have ignored my request, was very helpful and told me that:

They had had nearly 100 applications for the role most of which were submitted when the role went live.
    Despite the role having a closing date for applying, I got the impression that applications were being reviewed/selected on the fly and not once the deadline had passed.

There is a heavy slant towards individuals with industry experience, even if this is irrelevant, and there is a lot of favouritism towards individuals who are either already working for the company and looking for career progression regardless of whether they have the full skillset or individuals who have been referred on by a friend or colleague. For this role, which turned out being for 2 positions, one went to somebody with industry experience and one went to someone who worked on the development of one of the core apps - and this was a service delivery role!

She also gave me feedback on my CV and it looks like the new format I tried let me down which is a pisser as the previous format was what she was looking for. Having said that, I still don't think I would have got any further due to the reasons mentioned above.

Difficult to compete when the odds are stacked against you like that!

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Try to forget it, there are a number of reasons why you didn't get it and not all are down to you. They might be going through the motions with someone in mind, someone might have worked there before or been personally recommended or they might be an absolute perfect fit for the role. Forget the feedback, I never gave any when I was interviewing, I just preferred one person, the agencies will just make something up to fob you off.
    I did get a knock back one time for being a bit full-on (this is a while ago when I used to get nervous). I demanded the agency get me back in and amazingly the company agreed, as I arrived there was a bomb scare and the interview took place in the canteen surrounded by people, I stayed nearly 6 years...

Leave a comment:

• mobi
    replied
    Employers will NEVER disclose proper reason for rejection. If they do, employees might sue them for discrimination (under any circumstances). In fact, nowadays one can't reject a candidate if they seem to have less IQ.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    No.

I don't get rejected often, but when I do, it's usually hilarious.
    That was only my second ever rejection and the other was for a permie role so that doesn't count

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied

The feedback they give is a fecking joke. It's like they've confused you with someone else.
    Not as much as I use to before. If I were given 2 contracts, I would not hesitate to reject one over the other. Clients are the same with contractors.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied

No.

I don't get rejected often, but when I do, it's usually hilarious.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X