• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

contracting gravy train only temporary until india takes over

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just milk the 'gravy train' now, put the money into BTL and the continued huge rise in house-prices mean your kids will not need to work.

Simples.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

India's not the problem. Wait until China come up to speed...

The answer is to be a manager by the way. They still need those on shore even if its only to plan and coordinate offshore work.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post

The answer is to be a manager by the way. They still need those on shore even if its only to plan and coordinate offshore work.
        That's a bit colonial thinking. Why do the managers have to be British? Why can't they be Indian? Don't think they can do the job? In fact they have the advantage of speaking the language of the offshore staff.

I think there will always be some relatively well paid work in the city, but looking at the IB and IB-consultancy models (onshoring as big a problem as offshoring) we have maybe 5 fairly good years left before things start deteriorating markedly further. Make hay while the sun shines!

Comment

The managers don't have to be British, but they do have to be onshore. And increasingly the offshore companies are recruiting westerners to be the interface to the western client.

There is a place for offshoring. It can work effectively, but the customer must retain control. What typically has happened is that it is viewed as a cure-all and promoted as such by the consultancies.

Years ago, I read a paper entitled "Management by Panacea". The idea is that a new idea comes along . Five years are spent as the idea gains momentum. The consultancies pick it up and promote it during the next five years, and it gets implemented as "this will solve all your problems". The following five years the cracks appear, and it kicks around for another five years after that, until it basically dies. But that's ok, cos the next idea has already been pick up by the consultancies.

MBO
          TQM
          Off-shoring...

It's a direct result of short-term thinking, and the politicians fallacy. "We're in a mess. We must do something. This is something. Let's do it.".
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There will allways be positions for individuals who can deliver, manage and think outside of the box.

So thats 90% of the bods fked on here, but for us other 10% Kaboom!!!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              I've already advised my sons to stay away from IT as a potential career, 1 is at Uni in biological sciences, 1 fancies architecture or civil eng at the moment and the other is undecided, but still a bit young to make his choices.
              They sound like perfect PM material to me.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
                That's a bit colonial thinking. Why do the managers have to be British? Why can't they be Indian? Don't think they can do the job? In fact they have the advantage of speaking the language of the offshore staff.

I think there will always be some relatively well paid work in the city, but looking at the IB and IB-consultancy models (onshoring as big a problem as offshoring) we have maybe 5 fairly good years left before things start deteriorating markedly further. Make hay while the sun shines!
                Who is colonising who?

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                  To be honest, most of the Bobs you see on site are there because of corruption in high places, and not because of any perceived cost savings.
                  I'm pretty sure that is a factor. It is amazing me how many companies have signed away their IT support even when the numbers obviously don't stack up.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post

There are more 'managers' sitting on the bench than us developers.

Theres a reason for that. Believe it or not, sometimes you dont need more chiefs ......

Comment

There are certain parts/sectors of IT that CAN'T be off-shored, at least at the moment...
                      B00med!

Comment

Working...
                      X