• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance (SC) Q&A Read first before asking questions

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers Malvy.

Two weeks is good then. Is this even less for a lapsed SC or doesnt it matter?

Ok. £64,000 question. ALL the agents have got this idea in their head that up until 12 months you're ok, after that, you've had it. Your telling us that this is not correct and that the 12 month thing is irrelevant? Have I got that right?

OK. So how to pitch it to an agent if your SC was last used more than 12 months ago? Is it even worth mentioning on your CV in the hope it can be resurrected? Or failing that, how to convince agents that you've been SC before and it only takes 2 weeks now?

Surely, if it now only takes 2 weeks, then agents/clients may be better off looking for the best candidate. Appreciate that people fail SC but surely someone previously SC a few years ago has a more than decent chance of passing again? But I know, agents/clients have got in their head that they want someone NOW and won't wait 2 weeks - although most contracts I've ever done have pretty much always had to wait while contract is sorted.

Never ceases to amaze me though how clients can take a week to get back after feedback submission, another week after interview, and then still want the candidate to start TOMORROW because its urgent.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Cheers Malvy.

Two weeks is good then. Is this even less for a lapsed SC or doesnt it matter?

Ok. £64,000 question. ALL the agents have got this idea in their head that up until 12 months you're ok, after that, you've had it. Your telling us that this is not correct and that the 12 month thing is irrelevant? Have I got that right?

OK. So how to pitch it to an agent if your SC was last used more than 12 months ago? Is it even worth mentioning on your CV in the hope it can be resurrected? Or failing that, how to convince agents that you've been SC before and it only takes 2 weeks now?

Surely, if it now only takes 2 weeks, then agents/clients may be better off looking for the best candidate. Appreciate that people fail SC but surely someone previously SC a few years ago has a more than decent chance of passing again? But I know, agents/clients have got in their head that they want someone NOW and won't wait 2 weeks - although most contracts I've ever done have pretty much always had to wait while contract is sorted.

Never ceases to amaze me though how clients can take a week to get back after feedback submission, another week after interview, and then still want the candidate to start TOMORROW because its urgent.
      I've been trying to answer your $64,000 question for six years now. Progress is being made but it's painfully slow.

The year of grace is basically just for easiness. There's no guarantee that you will be able to transfer clearance from one role to the next anyway, but once you've been out of the sight of a suitable authority for a year you will have to be cleared from scratch anyway.

If you want chapter and verse, go here and start reading. I'll give you good odds that any agent will take no notice of this at all...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        I've been trying to answer your $64,000 question for six years now. Progress is being made but it's painfully slow.

The year of grace is basically just for easiness. There's no guarantee that you will be able to transfer clearance from one role to the next anyway, but once you've been out of the sight of a suitable authority for a year you will have to be cleared from scratch anyway.

If you want chapter and verse, go here and start reading. I'll give you good odds that any agent will take no notice of this at all...
        Right but after a year its deffo gone?
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Right but after a year its deffo gone?
          No. It's gone as soon as you leave. After a year it can't be resurrected.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

My SC is considered live and current more than a year after leaving a secure site

It's as if the 'SC expires a year after leaving a secure site' meme is put out there by agents. It'd be a good way of reducing the supply of suitable candidates, make the candidate search appear more difficult and thus justify higher margins. I'm racking my brains but I don't think I'd ever heard this 'fact' from anyone in authority and certainly didn't hear it whilst I was a civil servant (but then again nobody around me ever talked about leaving the department).

I called my last SC'd contract yesterday (which I left three years ago). It was a government department and I spoke to the security desk. I'm surprised they told me all the details over the phone with no authentication but they said my SC runs for ten years (which is two years away) giving me the exact date and they don't know anything about it lapsing after a year. To be clear they confirmed my SC as live and current three years after working on a SC site.

Annoyingly I might have to go through the same old agent who told me last week that I couldn't be put through because it'd lapsed since I'd not been on a SC site for over a year (because I'm not sure if other agents with this meme will believe me). I think if I get a quick contract back there, it'll be easier to convince other agents that my SC is live for contracts elsewhere.

Comment

SC Securty jobs a real Can of Worms

I don't know what most Contractors feel about SC Security Clearance
              but personally I think the whole SC Security clearance business
              should be overhauled as it's clearly 'not fit for purpose' in the
              21st century.
              Also their seems to be more and more vacancies for jobs and contracts
              where I fail to see the need for the candidate having to be SC Security
              Cleared, as the job has little or no connection with the Government,
              Defense or the Defense industry. Maybe just inserted in their anyway
              to scare off a flood of applications and CV's for the job.
              Also 'Security Cleared Jobs' are by their very nature discriminatory
              and worst of all means that the client seldom gets the best candidate
              for the job, being lumbered with a compromise candidate instead.
              With all the danger of substandard work etc, etc, etc.

What's needed is to put SC Security Clearance on a level playing field
              and with the Government always looking at new ways of raising revenue.
              Lets make SC Security clearance vetting accessible to all. That is
              scrap the need for the candidate to be sponsored by the employer in
              the first place and open it to all UK Residents, making the process no
              more daunting than applying for or renewing a Passport.

Of course the Government would charge a fee for their services & we
              don't want the Defense Vetting Agency flooded with applicants do
              we ???
              So how much should the Government charge for this service. Well
              think of Visa's. Theirs the fast track SC for which your charged a
              premium above the normal rate and the standard rate SC for which
              you get the 'maybe in two to three months' turn around, if your
              lucky that we have today.

So what will the fee be - well as I said we don't want the DVA flooded
              with applicants, slowing the system down further than it does already.

Lets say £1500 for the Fast track SC and £1000 for the normal rate.
              Expensive I know but remember the Governments dealing with a
              budget deficit and worth it, if it lasts 5 to 10 years.
              Of course the usual caveats apply for all candidates applying for
              SC Security clearance as they do today. But you wouldn't apply
              in the first place if you thought you were unlikely to clear the
              SC vetting system.
              Last edited by Tightfit; 1 January 2014, 10:25.

Comment

SC-land is no holy-grail.

All my SC roles have been inflexible, no-WFH, ineptly managed and CV-killers! And usually in some back-of-beyond place cos the Gov decided to spread the Civil Service stuff about the country in 70's.

Still, no Bobs, but plenty of other Gov. a-holes to eff it up instead...

Comment

Originally posted by Tightfit View Post
                  I don't know what most Contractors feel about SC Security Clearance
                  but personally I think the whole SC Security clearance business
                  should be overhauled as it's clearly 'not fit for purpose' in the
                  21st century.
                  Also their seems to be more and more vacancies for jobs and contracts
                  where I fail to see the need for the candidate having to be SC Security
                  Cleared, as the job has little or no connection with the Government,
                  Defense or the Defense industry. Maybe just inserted in their anyway
                  to scare off a flood of applications and CV's for the job.
                  Also 'Security Cleared Jobs' are by their very nature discriminatory
                  and worst of all means that the client seldom gets the best candidate
                  for the job, being lumbered with a compromise candidate instead.
                  With all the danger of substandard work etc, etc, etc.

What's needed is to put SC Security Clearance on a level playing field
                  and with the Government always looking at new ways of raising revenue.
                  Lets make SC Security clearance vetting accessible to all. That is
                  scrap the need for the candidate to be sponsored by the employer in
                  the first place and open it to all UK Residents, making the process no
                  more daunting than applying for or renewing a Passport.

Of course the Government would charge a fee for their services & we
                  don't want the Defense Vetting Agency flooded with applicants do
                  we ???
                  So how much should the Government charge for this service. Well
                  think of Visa's. Theirs the fast track SC for which your charged a
                  premium above the normal rate and the standard rate SC for which
                  you get the 'maybe in two to three months' turn around, if your
                  lucky that we have today.

So what will the fee be - well as I said we don't want the DVA flooded
                  with applicants, slowing the system down further than it does already.

Lets say £1500 for the Fast track SC and £1000 for the normal rate.
                  Expensive I know but remember the Governments dealing with a
                  budget deficit and worth it, if it lasts 5 to 10 years.
                  Of course the usual caveats apply for all candidates applying for
                  SC Security clearance as they do today. But you wouldn't apply
                  in the first place if you thought you were unlikely to clear the
                  SC vetting system.
                  Perhaps learn the system before you take it apart?

The clearance system works perfectly well, the problem is getting past the mentality that only cleared people can apply for cleared jobs and understanding that you can work while waiting or clearance to come through as long as you pass BPSS. The ministries know that, an awful lot of middle and senior hiring managers - not just agencies either - simply don't or choose to ignore it.

And the clearance belongs to the role, not the worker. Hence any idea of pre-clearance or speculative clearance is dead in the water; the Cabinet Office simply won't allow it.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Perhaps learn the system before you take it apart?

The clearance system works perfectly well, the problem is getting past the mentality that only cleared people can apply for cleared jobs and understanding that you can work while waiting or clearance to come through as long as you pass BPSS.
                    Precisely and that is the heart of the problem - the mentality that only current
                    Security Cleared people can apply. All because of the 'belly-ache' about how
                    long it takes those who never had an SC cleared before - to go through vetting.

Even worst are the DV Cleared jobs - I bet a number of inept candidates get
                    through their - all because they had DV from their Service days.

I still think SC is unfair and used as a carte blanche for most of the jobs that
                    have somehow survived being outsourced or off shored abroad. Not that's
                    wrong but I can think of a number of friends, one of them an Expat & born
                    and bred British citizen, who failed even to be considered for SC because he
                    spent sometime abroad ( In the EU !!! )
                    Makes me wonder whether Scotland and Scottish citizens will be declared
                    foreign for the sake of SC clearance following Independence ( if it happens ? )
                    Last edited by Tightfit; 1 January 2014, 14:11.

Comment

rQUOTE=Tightfit;1863468]Precisely and that is the heart of the problem - the mentality that only current
                      Security Cleared people can apply. All because of the 'belly-ache' about how
                      long it takes those who never had an SC cleared before - to go through vetting.

Even worst are the DV Cleared jobs - I bet a number of inept candidates get
                      through their - all because they had DV from their Service days.
                      [/QUOTE]

The reason many HMG projects fail is partly because the work keeps being given to the same old people who are not a couple of generations behind the skills curve. I had an interview recently with a couple of corporate consultancy suits who were proud to tell me they have been working in the MOD for 10 years. They then failed to understand 90% of the issues they will be facing with what they were trying to achieve in a field I've been working in at an architecture level for the last three years. And the feedback I got was that I didn't have enough skills for the role...

Things may be slowly changing, however. Watch the skies...
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X