• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Choosing Between Job Offers; Any Hindsight?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing Between Job Offers; Any Hindsight?

I appreciate that some people are still looking for work, so this is not a boastful post, it is a genuine request for some advice, given many of you will have made some serious relocation mistakes that you regret, due to taking a job that was either too busy, or not busy enough for you.

I'm planning on moving back into permiedom, given I'm younger than the core demographic here, and do not fancy accepting the shocking rates available.

In choosing between a couple of given role offers, I am worried about making a mistake, such is life. I'm in my mid twenties.

I'll have to move away from my home city regardless, so I've already accepted that. Ideally I'd like to eventually buy a place in both the work city and home city, depending on how things pan out.

First job:
    Aberdeen, oil&gas, small service company with main offices elsewhere in the world. Role seems basic compared to what I've been doing before, but certainly has room for change as the business expands. I like the fact it's not in the city centre of Aberdeen, so aesthetically life could be good, as I'm an outdoors sort of person. My worries? Small company, could be awkward if the very few people in the office turn out to be particularly irritating, entering into servicing infrastructure for the oil&gas industry could be career-limiting.

Second job:
    Central England, telecommunications and associated services. The good: lot of scope to build up their infrastructure and data services, with assistance required for the business to acquire a data company in the near future. around £10k more money than first job plus car allowance. The bad: quite far from home city, could involve a lot of driving now and again, often away from home Monday to Friday, possibly in hotels in unattractive parts of various cities.

From a career point of view I'm erring towards the second job, but am fully aware that a work-balance is required in permiedom.

I should also mention, I know nobody in either city, so I suppose the drive from Aberdeen to my home city that takes half the time of that of the second position would be better in that respect.

I suppose I'm asking - as a single guy with little responsibility - if being solely office based in a nice location, for obviously less money, is better in the long run, than being a blue-arsed fly, getting into my home city late at night on a Friday, and leaving late on the Sunday. The latter job seems that it could be the sort of job that has the hours of a contractor, with additional pay, but one that may drive me to hate life after a half year of it, given I know nobody in the areas in which I would be working, which I believe over a long term can start to pick at your brain.

entering into servicing infrastructure for the oil&gas industry could be career-limiting.
    You're joking, right? Probably the best paying sector to work in, will potentially get you into anywhere in the world that you choose. Increasingly a market challenged due to asians and eastern europeans taking many of the jobs at lower rates, but get a real, in demand, niche skill set and you're made.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Take the first job.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        You're joking, right? Probably the best paying sector to work in, will potentially get you into anywhere in the world that you choose. Increasingly a market challenged due to asians and eastern europeans taking many of the jobs at lower rates, but get a real, in demand, niche skill set and you're made.
        Yep he must be. Mid 20's no commitments but would rather take the permie shilling to the admittedly reduce contract pound? Must be ******* crackers.

He'd still be better off on a reduced contract wage imo.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Yep he must be. Mid 20's no commitments but would rather take the permie shilling to the admittedly reduce contract pound? Must be ******* crackers.

He'd still be better off on a reduced contract wage imo.
          Yep. Just landed my highest ever rate working for a major name in O&G. Nothing else comes close for good rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            Yep. Just landed my highest ever rate working for a major name in O&G. Nothing else comes close for good rates.
            except banks

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Take the first job.
              wot SE and Fred said.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                except banks
                OK, I'm a dumb engineer!

Comment

I've been given the chance to speak to someone in each of the companies who does a similar position to me. This was suggested by the hiring managers - seems HR departments are making more of an effort these days to ensure they don't hire someone who ends up leaving quickly, as there is a surplus of labour in many areas.

I thought a small niche business with tiny offices and a handful, literally, of staff would have been very much the second choice. Instead, it is the recommended path it would seem.

When I was there, I had the feeling something just was not quite right. Very small office, development of a more basic infrastructure than I had worked with before. Also the title is basically just an engineer title, with job to match: connectivity to far-reach areas of the globe. They emphasised that it was 'very stressful' at times, and I really don't like that sort of emphasis without examples. One persons 'very stressful' is another persons 'calm and lovely'.

The latter role was a consultancy-architecture role working with significantly more clients and multiple vendor platforms from all manner of backgrounds, but the main point is the amount of frequent travel involved. The extra £10k cash, extra benefits, car allowance, make it look more enticing, but maybe I shouldn't be looking at it that way.

So that's it then, up North I head? Suppose at least it's supposedly cheaper up there, although I see housing is priced at ridiculous levels.
                  Last edited by larson; 20 March 2010, 12:51.

Comment

You are young so....

Take the first job, look at the next role above you and get the CV/requirements. Involve these in to the role you are doing so you become the natural choice should the position above you come up and in the meantime apply for roles based on the CV for your next job up.

When someone offers you a role at the next level take it.. Come back in 10 years as the CEO of the company you first started it.

You have the time to be cut throat and flexible. Take job close to home and make the next role yours and be prepared to jump ship for a few quid but better role more. Do this a few years and THEN you can rest on your laurels...

HTH
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X