• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bench - Blog! How do some of you cope and bag an Interview?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Being just average is a handicap in this market, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you though.
    not at all, but it does probably mean you shouldnt go into contracting. There are very few contracts out there for 'average' people.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      Im not saying your are bad at what you do norahhe, just probably average ..... nothing wrong with being average, thats what most people are!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelOfTheNorth View Post
        If you cant find a contract within 2 to 3 months, there is either something wrong with your CV or something wrong with you.
        What absolute toss, like the rest of your posts.

If you can't find a contract within 2 to 3 months then any or all of the following apply:

- You aren't looking very hard, and aren't that fussed about starting work.
        - Clients are not recruiting for your skillset in an area that you are interested in working.
        - Clients that are recruiting are not the clients that you want to work with.
        - Your CV isn't right.
        - Your interview technique isn't right.
        - There are better skilled candidates available.
        - The client does not have the budget for you, and you aren't willing to cut your rate.
        - You are being too picky about the roles that you apply for.
        - Agents are being too picky and looking for a 50 bullet point list that you must hit.
        - Clients aren't sure of their requirements when they advertise them, and are after some free consultancy.

There may, of course, be other reasons for not getting the role.

Believe it or not, NOB25, not everyone on here is prepared to work in Bar Oz for minimum wage. Now - haven't you got some Fosters to be pouring?
        If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

not at all, but it does probably mean you shouldnt go into contracting. There are very few contracts out there for 'average' people.
          Um... I've been contracting for 7 years, no mater how many contractors there are there can only be 10% in the top 10% if you see what I mean.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Um... I've been contracting for 7 years, no mater how many contractors there are there can only be 10% in the top 10% if you see what I mean.
            I dont mean out of the pool of contractors. Im talking about a general pool of people in your industry. You need to be above average to go into contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wikir Man View Post
              What absolute toss, like the rest of your posts.

If you can't find a contract within 2 to 3 months then any or all of the following apply:

- You aren't looking very hard, and aren't that fussed about starting work.
              - Clients are not recruiting for your skillset in an area that you are interested in working.
              - Clients that are recruiting are not the clients that you want to work with.
              - Your CV isn't right.
              - There are better skilled candidates available.
              - The client does not have the budget for you, and you aren't willing to cut your rate.
              - You are being too picky about the roles that you apply for.
              - Agents are being too picky and looking for a 50 bullet point list that you must hit.
              - Clients aren't sure of their requirements when they advertise them, and are after some free consultancy.

There may, of course, be other reasons for not getting the role.

Believe it or not, NOB25, not everyone on here is prepared to work in Bar Oz for minimum wage. Now - haven't you got some Fosters to be pouring?
              Im talking about 2 to 3 months of 'looking for work' ... I would have thought its pretty obvious if you dont look for work for 3 months and then after 3 months you dont have a contract, its not because you are necessarily bad, but just cause you werent looking.

That fact should have been patently obvious, but hey ho.

Comment

I dont mean out of the pool of contractors. Im talking about a general pool of people in your industry. You need to be above average to go into contracting.
                That, with disrespect, is absolute balls.
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Im talking about 2 to 3 months of 'looking for work' ... I would have thought its pretty obvious if you dont look for work for 3 months and then after 3 months you dont have a contract, its not because you are necessarily bad, but just cause you werent looking.
                  OK, I'll concede that one from the list of ten other reasons that you might be out of work for a while.

I'll add

- Contract falls through at the last minute

to replace it, though.

Should be patently obvious that there are plenty of valid reasons for not having a contract other than "you're not good enough", but hey ho.

Of the 11 points I have made, the only two that I don't think apply during the 7 months I had off recently are

- Your CV isn't right.
                  If you have to add a , it isn't funny. HTH. LOL.

Comment

How are peeps getting on... I am getting more and more miffed with being buffed by various agencys... im moving into month 5 on being on the bench. Heck I have tried applying for all sorts of roles recently ranging from a BA, Snr BA, Tech Arch, PMO, Snr Manager. I have a consultancy background and with this being so "hybrid" I can't seem to fit into any one pigeon hole.

I never thought it would be this difficult... I am 29 and already feel like a mid life crisis looms.
                    Never Never Never give up

Comment

Originally posted by MrHelpful View Post
                      How are peeps getting on... I am getting more and more miffed with being buffed by various agencys... im moving into month 5 on being on the bench. Heck I have tried applying for all sorts of roles recently ranging from a BA, Snr BA, Tech Arch, PMO, Snr Manager. I have a consultancy background and with this being so "hybrid" I can't seem to fit into any one pigeon hole.

I never thought it would be this difficult... I am 29 and already feel like a mid life crisis looms.
                      I had my mid life crisis at 28/29. Still have the scars to prove it.

Looks like perm is beckoning!
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X