• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bench - Blog! How do some of you cope and bag an Interview?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I'm searching in vain for work I try and learn new stuff and while I'm at it blog about it so I at least appear to be an expert when I stick my blog URL on my CV.

Fudging the dates of posts to fit your gaps is easy with Wordpress too.

Comment

Argh - a first for me!

Interview I was suppose to have tmrw is cancelled as the interviewer is stuck in the US. I must be jinxed as so far...

Interview Place 1 - was cancelled day before it was suppose to happen. Client closed the position.
      Interview Place 2 - is to be cancelled due to knock on effect of volcanic eruption.

2 other dead cert applications have appeared to go up in smoke as the agencys havent heard back from the client !

I would be lyiing to say this is not getting to me. I have been looking for a role now for 2 months... have made numerous applications, calls, you name it i've tried it. I am a well qualified PM, glowing references from recognised clients but I am getting nothing! Banking is definetly hiring but I can't seem to wedge that door open yet.
      Never Never Never give up

Comment

I'm sorry but you'll just have to tough it out and keep going.

Some of us have been benched for rather longer than 8 weeks....
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It would be good to have a crystal ball to see when the next start date would be, I feel I've effectively wasted the last 3 months looking for work when I could have been studying something useful.

If I don't get something soon my misses is going to start bringing home Asda application forms.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I'm sorry but you'll just have to tough it out and keep going.

Some of us have been benched for rather longer than 8 weeks....
            And if you're panicking after 8 weeks, then maybe contracting isn't for you.

My longest bench stint was 8 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

This time it's been 3 months and a bit. Thankfully unbenching as of next week.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              And if you're panicking after 8 weeks, then maybe contracting isn't for you.

My longest bench stint was 8 months!!!!!!!!!!!!

This time it's been 3 months and a bit. Thankfully unbenching as of next week.
              Why not panic after 8 weeks? ....... 8 months is nothing to be proud of, it just means that finally theyve taken up all the good people into contracts and are having to settle for the rest.

If you cant find a contract within 2 to 3 months, there is either something wrong with your CV or something wrong with you.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelOfTheNorth View Post
                Why not panic after 8 weeks? ....... 8 months is nothing to be proud of, it just means that finally theyve taken up all the good people into contracts and are having to settle for the rest.

If you cant find a contract within 2 to 3 months, there is either something wrong with your CV or something wrong with you.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Being just average is a handicap in this market, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you though. The market will get the pick of the crop in this climate.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Wubbish.

Comment

Think they have a point, you are a business and as such, you need skills or knowledge that companies are prepared to pay for. The market soon lets you know if those skills are in demand generally and at a particular point in time. You are subject to negative outside effects e.g. recession/recruitment freezes/tech shifts direction (or location). You may also put your own restrictions in e.g. rate or location (I need to stay close to home currently).
                      If you are going months between roles (5 months at end of 08 for me)then there looks to be a limited market for your current skills, or too much competition.
                      Everyone should be making a clear assessment of this and do it when the work is still around ! Most of us get some time in the sun (I went 10.5 years with only 5 weeks out of contract) when it seems very easy but you have to ALWAYS be looking 3-5 years ahead and for a viable Plan B for when the train hits the buffers - you have been warned....

Comment

Working...
                      X