• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Bench - Blog! How do some of you cope and bag an Interview?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor's Coffee Break: IR35, and what you're led to believe :: Contractor UK
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Not had a callback from the agent (s) yet... I know its just been 12hrs but should I call back or just on with search?
      Never Never Never give up

Comment

Originally posted by MrHelpful View Post
        Not had a callback from the agent (s) yet... I know its just been 12hrs but should I call back or just on with search?
        I'd get on with the search. For jobs you apply for now it may take a week or two for interviews to come through anyway. I find if you look for other stuff then sometimes you end up getting an offer when you don't expect it.

And to give you hope...

I was out of work for 18 mths (various reasons), couldn't get through interviews (never my strong point anyway). One of my friends gave me a not great job as filler for 5 weeks, it put something on my CV. I then went for a dire permie job that didn't work out (there was some mis-understandings between me and the agent... they told me one thing and it wasn't correct, no idea if the client or the agent was stretching the truth).

I did have to get some hypnotherapy to finally get my interview skills up. Got interviews after working for my mate, I finally could interview properly..turned down a badly-paid contract and last week got a good one.

Now I've realised I should have reviewed my contract properly due to overtime I'm doing but it's only a short termer and looks good on my CV and well-paid (well, for my terms anyway). You'll get something, market does seem better.

Comment

On with the search it is. Still waiting on feedback. Agent 1 - came back and said he has had positive feedback/vibes however decision maker is MD and still waiting. Gut feeling even though interview went very well is that they are going to fill the position internally to save on the bottom line. Position 2 - permie.... I am waiting on the person who interviewed me to get back to HR.... he went abroad the day after I met him. Hopefully should know more by Monday.

I don't want to chase them as it may give the impression I am too eager and I am enjoying watching the T20 cricket on TV but at the same time could really do with working again!

Comment

On with the search! Didnt get the role for Interview 1.... was told they went for a candidate who the MD knew and was a mixture of consultancy/PM... darn it (all I can say)

Comment

Guys can I have your thoughts.... I had a permi interview last Tuesday and still havent heard back from the company. Should I chase HR and see whats going, email the interviewing manager (he did give me his card) or just sit tight... I just want to know where I stand it has been nearly a week. PS - I am looking to see what else is out there in the meantime HOWEVER just want to work now.

Comment

Usually if a company wants 2nd interview, they respond within 24 hours of 1st interview.

Then if a they make an offer, they do that within 24-48 hours of 2nd interview.

Phrases like following ones usually mean rejections

* We are interviewing some other candidates
                * Decision manger is on holiday now [so who is acting on his behalf?]
                * We need to think about over the weekend [no one thinks about new hire on weekend]
                * No communication even after 48 hours

Now there are always exceptions.

Comment

Agree with your thoughts... this was a 2nd interview and the interviewer in this case did come over from the US. Therefore it is a viable reason for recruiter to say they havent had chance yet to touchbase. I am hoping for an answer today together with a complete package view.

Comment

In a similar vein to how do you cope, how do people repeatedly deal with agents without loosing their cool/giving them grief.
                    After all the usual tricks, not real roles, never returning calls etc and as i come to understand these tricks/stories more and more I'm finding it hard to keep shtoom when i start hearing bs coming from their mouths.

Yesterday I found myself insinuating that the agent was lying (i'm convinced he was). This morning i was openly speculating that it was improbable that a (new) role which agent posted and i applied to yesterday had already been filled.

How does everyone else deal with this or is it fair game (and without consequence) to hold them accountable?

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
                      In a similar vein to how do you cope, how do people repeatedly deal with agents without loosing their cool/giving them grief.
                      After all the usual tricks, not real roles, never returning calls etc and as i come to understand these tricks/stories more and more I'm finding it hard to keep shtoom when i start hearing bs coming from their mouths.

Yesterday I found myself insinuating that the agent was lying (i'm convinced he was). This morning i was openly speculating that it was improbable that a (new) role which agent posted and i applied to yesterday had already been filled.

How does everyone else deal with this or is it fair game (and without consequence) to hold them accountable?
                      Very simple: The minute the BS starts, just put the phone down. That's what I do, and I feel much better for it.
                      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                      X