• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How many page you CV is ..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly, this is a great thread - Dominated by people who vary in opinion, and this is perhaps the crux of the matter. Everyone is different - some people want all of the detail - every last drop of experience to re-assure them that the persons background is spot on for what they want to achieve. Others would prefer a very brief summary of what you were brought in for, transposed against what you achieved - and will dig into the detail at interview stage.

Whilst I know alot of you guys dislike the agency world - this split is where an agent should really come into their own. Ultimately you would hope that your agent has a relationship with the client (and if they don't and this is their first time working with them, that they tell you). In theory, by going through the recruitment lifecycle over and over, they build an understanding of the hiring managers preferences. From this understanding, they should be able to work with you to establish whether your CV is too detailed, or too brief. Now I know the reality is that this doesn't always happen, but you should also remember that agents want to make money too - telling you that your CV is too long or short actually delays the time to hire, so it's worth considering that they are making these requests hopefully based on fact, and experience - not just to be a pain (with a few notable exceptions).

Ultimately however, in my world, the CV should be an interviewing prop - not a sales tool. I need to see a CV in order to interview potential candidates. From there, I would hope to be able to call the client, talk them through why I think XYZ person is right, and get them to see the candidate before they've ever seen a CV (at this point it makes no sense to lie, as the CV will soon show it up). From there, I'd supply a CV to the client the night before the interview - complete with the selling points of the CV that I'd used on the phone, and usually a reference or two to back up my thoughts. This allows prep time, but ultimately keeping the CV as an interview prompt rather than a sales tool. In that instance, a 10 page CV makes little sense. In my opinion, the most detailed CV, for someone of 20 years experience at say, 8 different companies, should not exceed 4 pages really - but as I say everyone is different - so sometimes my clients want to see 20 years of detailed history (possibly because they interview in a lazy fashion), sometimes they just want 3 main targets, and whether they were achieved.

Annoyingly this theory falls on its rear end when HR doris's get involved, who think they know what's best for the hiring manager - to my mind, these people simply make life harder than it needs to be, by requesting CV's for them to screen, with no contact with the professional interim (seriously - HR should not be involved with anything interim - it's not staff - it's one company providing services to another) - What these people don't understand is that a good interim recruiter will often know, or know of the interim in the first place and have a good insight into the bits that aren't on the CV. Sadly in this case, the best way through is to dress your CV exactly to their percieved requirements in order to get through the gatekeeper. Again, however your agent should be working you through the process and advising - annoyingly, the approach tends to be to commodotise candidates, rather than assist, and simply throw mud at HR in the hope that something sticks - which is the start of the viscious circle of why HR shove their noses into contract/interims anyway.......

Just general ramblings, but I hope it helps someone decide whether their CV is right or wrong!

TAV
    "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
    SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by The Agents View View Post
      Firstly, this is a great thread - Dominated by people who vary in opinion, and this is perhaps the crux of the matter. Everyone is different - some people want all of the detail - every last drop of experience to re-assure them that the persons background is spot on for what they want to achieve. Others would prefer a very brief summary of what you were brought in for, transposed against what you achieved - and will dig into the detail at interview stage.

Whilst I know alot of you guys dislike the agency world - this split is where an agent should really come into their own. Ultimately you would hope that your agent has a relationship with the client (and if they don't and this is their first time working with them, that they tell you). In theory, by going through the recruitment lifecycle over and over, they build an understanding of the hiring managers preferences. From this understanding, they should be able to work with you to establish whether your CV is too detailed, or too brief. Now I know the reality is that this doesn't always happen, but you should also remember that agents want to make money too - telling you that your CV is too long or short actually delays the time to hire, so it's worth considering that they are making these requests hopefully based on fact, and experience - not just to be a pain (with a few notable exceptions).

Ultimately however, in my world, the CV should be an interviewing prop - not a sales tool. I need to see a CV in order to interview potential candidates. From there, I would hope to be able to call the client, talk them through why I think XYZ person is right, and get them to see the candidate before they've ever seen a CV (at this point it makes no sense to lie, as the CV will soon show it up). From there, I'd supply a CV to the client the night before the interview - complete with the selling points of the CV that I'd used on the phone, and usually a reference or two to back up my thoughts. This allows prep time, but ultimately keeping the CV as an interview prompt rather than a sales tool. In that instance, a 10 page CV makes little sense. In my opinion, the most detailed CV, for someone of 20 years experience at say, 8 different companies, should not exceed 4 pages really - but as I say everyone is different - so sometimes my clients want to see 20 years of detailed history (possibly because they interview in a lazy fashion), sometimes they just want 3 main targets, and whether they were achieved.

Annoyingly this theory falls on its rear end when HR doris's get involved, who think they know what's best for the hiring manager - to my mind, these people simply make life harder than it needs to be, by requesting CV's for them to screen, with no contact with the professional interim (seriously - HR should not be involved with anything interim - it's not staff - it's one company providing services to another) - What these people don't understand is that a good interim recruiter will often know, or know of the interim in the first place and have a good insight into the bits that aren't on the CV. Sadly in this case, the best way through is to dress your CV exactly to their percieved requirements in order to get through the gatekeeper. Again, however your agent should be working you through the process and advising - annoyingly, the approach tends to be to commodotise candidates, rather than assist, and simply throw mud at HR in the hope that something sticks - which is the start of the viscious circle of why HR shove their noses into contract/interims anyway.......

Just general ramblings, but I hope it helps someone decide whether their CV is right or wrong!

TAV
      I hope the CVs you send are not as verbose and rambling as this
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Be fair, it's a big question to answer, and I appreciate the honesty of the reply. Then again, it is getting to be a Catch-22, as I explained in my Blog a while back (http://www.lpwcs.com/wordpress/2009/...t-for-purpose/), that a CV that gets you the interview won't impress the hiring manager.

I do agree that Human Remains shouldn't be anywhere near the process. Sadly it's not us interims you need to convince, it's the client's CEOs...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          Well there is varying in opinion again. I quite enjoyed an interesting well articulated response for once.

Although two agents having a go at each other does it for me.... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've come to realise that no matter how good you think your CV was for getting you your last contract, you always need to go back and review it for fitness the next time you're benched.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Well there is varying in opinion again. I quite enjoyed an interesting well articulated response for once.

Although two agents having a go at each other does it for me.... FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!
              I couldn't finish it

First few paragraphs seemed to support what I was saying which is good enough for me.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                I couldn't finish it

First few paragraphs seemed to support what I was saying which is good enough for me.
                Ohhh I see what you did there!! That was very clever

Comment

Thanks..

Guys,

Thanks again for the fantastic response. I think its time to repaint my CV. Most of CVs I have seen recently is 2/3 page, But it might be bit risky for me to make it too short. Conclusions I made from the posts are..
                  • As response to my CV is not great at the moment, I have to rewrite/reformat it
                  • I don't want to be in extreme ends ie 2 page or 10 Page, but planning to keep it 4/5 page level
                  • Have to get my tech summary to first page from last page to get pimp's short attention..!
                  • One liners for pre 2003 roles

Thought of to getting rid of month details from roles duration, just year will be mentioned, wise idea..?? Any one tried this..? created any troubles during interview/pimps..?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post

Thought of to getting rid of month details from roles duration, just year will be mentioned, wise idea..?? Any one tried this..? created any troubles during interview/pimps..?
                    The thing you have to remember is some people are thick anyway and have absolutely minimum arithmetical ability.

So even if you put months down as your dates you were doing that role they can't work out the length of time you were there.

So you can write the year then state x months doing y, x and z, or just write the year down and leave it. I personally give more date info about the last few roles I was doing and the older roles just get shoved under year.

Also it's worth getting your CV down to under 4 pages if possible, but either way don't make your font size less than 10 as it hurts the eyes.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      The thing you have to remember is some people are thick anyway and have absolutely minimum arithmetical ability.

So even if you put months down as your dates you were doing that role they can't work out the length of time you were there.

So you can write the year then state x months doing y, x and z, or just write the year down and leave it. I personally give more date info about the last few roles I was doing and the older roles just get shoved under year.

Also it's worth getting your CV down to under 4 pages if possible, but either way don't make your font size less than 10 as it hurts the eyes.
                      Again for clarity and continuity you have to put these in. The more the client thinks about crap like the dates the less he will focus on you.

Saying that I had on my cv a role that ended in Feb and the next started in March. so just put x - Feb and Mar - x. Interview looked at my CV and asked me what I did during my month off

You just can't win.

Comment

Working...
                      X