• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting - contractors pay higher tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting locally for less than £250/day does not appear to be worthwhile and for less than £325-£350 away from home (or defo not less than 300) makes it seem pointless.

I know I am just entering the contracting world but after doing various calculations that's how it seems.
    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 26 January 2010, 16:45.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      for less than £325-£350 away from home makes it seem pointless.
      It helps when you don't have a home

Comment

Originally posted by nfoote View Post
        Hi I'm new to contracting / trying to break into contracting and am just trying to get an accurate picture of how much I'd potentially earn as opposed to a perm role. Pretty much everyone I talk to says to initially go with an Umbrella company so assume thats I'm talking about here...

As a perm I was on 35000/year and was getting checks for roughly 2100 in the hand. I had my calculator out and its roughly 134 quid gross per day.

I've been using the calculators on this website and plugging in say 200/day (25/hr at 8 hours a day), 52 weeks worked (since perm you could work 52 weeks and forgo holidays). Pretty simple maths tells you the gross for that is almost 20k more at 52000/year. Forgetting about things like umbrella fee and tax claims at the moment the calculators are saying thats only 2,557.92 in take home pay. Not that 2500quid a month is to be laughed at but the increase struck me as rather low compared to raw increase in daily rate, more than 65 pounds per day!

I know I'm glossing over several things like holidays/sick leave and tax claims etc etc but I was just wondering if contractors end up paying more in tax?
        For example, perhaps, what perm salary in real life terms is 200/day comparable to?

Perhaps not being from the UK I'm missing something like a tiered tax system?
        If you would like a chat about how it all works please feel free to call me. My contact details are on our website under my profile.

You can also download a comparison spreadsheet tool that will compare all your trading options, I would advise not to assume that as many contractors / freelancers start off contracting via an umbrella that it will be in your best interest. This tool is on our website also, "Ltd company V umbrella"

Comment

I think people are a little too an*l over just the money side of things. There are of course other advantages to contracting but it depends on the individual what they make of those advantages.

£250pd locally vs 35k pa locally, I know which one I'd prefer IF of course I can be fairly sure the contract will last 12months at least, and more often than not they do in my experience.

Besides, perm sucks ar** mostly, unless you find the perfect position with the perfect company and so forth

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            ... flying you business class around the world and put you up in 5* hotels.
            Good innit.

It's even better when you become the boss and you fly first class.
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              what is your niche area?
              AlreadyPacked? He's a helpdesk girl.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                £250pd locally vs 35k pa locally, I know which one I'd prefer IF of course I can be fairly sure the contract will last 12months at least, and more often than not they do in my experience.
                It's funny because I'll only take £250pd locally if it's only for 3 months, then I don't get locked into a crap rate.

So you see - it's up to you and your own priorities.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Agree with that crap rates are fine as long as you don't lock yourself in, and you can bugger off when times get better.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's funny because I'll only take £250pd locally if it's only for 3 months, then I don't get locked into a crap rate.

So you see - it's up to you and your own priorities.
                    £250/day is only a crap rate if your cicumstances are different. Starting off at £250/day in the North West for example and you being close to home is pretty good. Being a long-term contractor at that rate and in London would indeed be crap. A lot of perm people including myself come from salaries of less than 30k, so 250/day is a decent enough improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      £250/day is only a crap rate if your cicumstances are different. Starting off at £250/day in the North West for example and you being close to home is pretty good. Being a long-term contractor at that rate and in London would indeed be crap. A lot of perm people including myself come from salaries of less than 30k, so 250/day is a decent enough improvement.
                      I think you'll find Cojack will point out his statement was talking about just him and his personal situation where he wouldnt take £250 a day unless on a short term basis, not necessarily saying that £250 a day is a bad amount across the board, because everythings relative. If youre a junior web developer breaking into contracting, a long term £250 a day contract is pretty good. If youre a java developer who has worked for a multitude of investment banks, then you would probably laugh in the face of £250 a day.

I would say this though.

I'd rather be locked into a £250 a day contract that lasts for a year, knowing you can plan out your year (re: holidays etc) than take a £300 a day contract for a month, not knowing if its going to keep rolling, not being able to book holidays because you might need to launch straight into your next contract if a suitable one becomes available in case another role doesnt come along for ages.

A guy on £250 a day will still earn more than a guy on £300 a day if that guy on £300 a day is spending nearly half the time warming the bench.

And especially if youre a 'dime a dozen' contractor, as much as many of us would like to believe we are the best of the best, then sometimes the longer term contract at the lower rate is the better option.

Comment

Working...
                      X