• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just how long is 'The Bench'?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shuffle up people, there's a new bottom for the bench

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
      Remember the old contractor maxim: you're only as good as your next contract. I use Jobserve as a continuing guide as to what that next contract might be.
      Ditto.

Listen to this chap - he makes sense.

I'm already looking at training for the contract after next... (I'm expecting/hoping that the training I took last year will get me my next contract...)
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I've been on the bench since September. Had a few sniffs before Christmas but a lot of mucking about with budgets pulled and stuff. There just don't seem to be many telo opportunities around at the moment

Comment

Been on since the end of November.

Must have submitted my CV about 100 times now for jobs, but absolutely no feedback on jobs at all from agents. Are these all ghost jobs????

Anyone else getting this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by memyselfandi View Post
            Been on since the end of November.

Must have submitted my CV about 100 times now for jobs, but absolutely no feedback on jobs at all from agents. Are these all ghost jobs????

Anyone else getting this issue.
            Took me about 350-400 applications last year before I finally landed something. And remember, it's still a quiet time of the year at the moment. Stick at it, and be patient. Something will turn up eventually. Remember, even Richard C. managed to find something eventually.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Recent feedback I've been getting is clients who advertise vaccancies are only taking on those contractors who previously worked for them.

May or may not be true but I think this goes on even when the market is quite good.

One role I went for had 5 vaccancies. 4 were filled by people who'd worked for the client previously. The 5th role was filled internally.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Recent feedback I've been getting is clients who advertise vaccancies are only taking on those contractors who previously worked for them.

May or may not be true but I think this goes on even when the market is quite good.

One role I went for had 5 vaccancies. 4 were filled by people who'd worked for the client previously. The 5th role was filled internally.
                50/50 split here. In the 4 months I've been at this gig, 6 people have been recruited. Half of them have worked here before, the other half not (which includes me.)

It's very easy for clients to say they will only take on people they've worked with before, but quite another thing in reality.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  Took me about 350-400 applications last year before I finally landed something. And remember, it's still a quiet time of the year at the moment. Stick at it, and be patient. Something will turn up eventually. Remember, even Richard C. managed to find something eventually.
                  Oh well, better get submitting now then. I have only had one contract before now, so that may also be why I am not getting a huge amount of success yet. I am hoping that when I get a couple under my belt that companies may be more likely to take me on.

Just trying to expand my skillset for the moment until something comes up. How do people go about adding that to their CV? Do they just put it under "interests, hobbies". Obviously, I will have no commercial experience to speak of, but still want employers to know that I know about these additional skills.

Comment

Just trying to expand my skillset for the moment until something comes up. How do people go about adding that to their CV? Do they just put it under "interests, hobbies". Obviously, I will have no commercial experience to speak of, but still want employers to know that I know about these additional skills.
                    Do some cheap work for a friend who owns a business and put it as a contract on your CV with those skills that you want to show you have.

Comment

Working...
                    X