• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not getting the jobs...interview advice anyone?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not getting the jobs...interview advice anyone?

Hello,

I'm getting a few interviews, for contract, and permanent roles (apart from this week, things died-down, guessing it's the christmas slow-down??), but not getting jobs.

One contract job, had 2 interviews, and awaiting a third as they want me to meet another team... so I'm not holding my breathe as they sound dis-organised.

I'm not great at interviews, however now had 6, and slowly improving. But feedback I've had from some is that I'm "nice" and "sociable", and "honest".

For those who do interviews is this just code-words for: you are like an Andrex puppy and we'd much rather have someone with a bit of oomph?

For one contract I was asked "what would your colleagues think of you?". I said "laid-back but I can be to the point". They fedback to the agent that they didn't think I could cope as I described myself as laid-back and it was a pressurised environment. Worrying I'm shooting myself in the foot every time I open my mouth.

I've had a year and a half out which doesn't help, would you even bother to interview people if you thought this would matter? Or is it more likely they haven't noticed the dates?

Trying to stay optimistic, but if anyone has any interview tips would be great. Or any stories of getting a job after countless interviews.

Thanks.

If you can keep your head while all around you are losing theirs, you obviously don’t understand the gravity of the situation!

A quote I always liked. I’ve been accused in my permie days of being “laid back”, and I’ve been advised that this can sometimes come across as not caring to those that didn’t know me. So I think in some cases, being laid back isn’t seen as good. But then all managers are different, so it’s impossible to come up with a one size fits all solution.

Best of luck anyhoo.

Comment

Try the 'Calm in a crisis' tack...

'Laid-back' is just a label, just use a more positive label for the same qualities.

And be firm when using it - you are NOT laid-back; you are calm in a crisis; you consider the problem before jumping in with a solution, etc...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Laid back = doesn't really care as long as the cheque hits the bank account, finds big IT problems amusing, surfs the internet, will drink 10 pints at lunchtime.

hmm definitely don't describe yourself as laidback.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

But feedback I've had from some is that I'm "nice" and "sociable", and "honest".
          I think this is a less blunt way of just kicking you in the nuts to be honest. I would die if i got that feedback from an interview. It sounds more like sympathy than positive feedback. You are there to a job not be a 'nice' person. If this is the best they can say about you then yes something is wrong I am afraid.

One contract job, had 2 interviews, and awaiting a third as they want me to meet another team... so I'm not holding my breathe as they sound dis-organised.
          Why are they disorganised? You think it is because they want 3 interviews? Do you not think it is because you have passed the approval of one group you need to be met by other stakeholders possibly. A picture is forming in my mind I am afraid.

Worrying I'm shooting myself in the foot every time I open my mouth
          Yes! We talking exocet here!!

"what would your colleagues think of you?". I said "laid-back but I can be to the point".
          Load, aim at foot, pull trigger.. booom!. You seriously said you were laid back in front of an interview panel? Jesus. Whats wrong with using motivated, articulate, helpful, sociable.... laid back???

I think you need go go right back to basics and buy a book or something about interviewing. I know it sounds like dumb advice but there is something seriously wrong here. To be called nice and sociable is bad enough, it means nothing about your business acumen or skills was worthy of note. To then find out you call yourself laid back may answer why. Neither incident says anything about your ability to actually do the job. Do you think you focus too much on you and not the role? Do you try to be too friendly, chatty, funny and approachable in the interview. You are there to sell yourself in to a job. Bang bang bang thank you very much. Not make friends.

Only you can answer this but have a re-think about a recent interview and think about the time spent waffling (small talk, comedy etc) and time spend listing skills, abilities and attitude TOWARDS WORK.

Are you doing any research for the roles? Understanding the company and culture and changing to it's needs. Laid back wouldn't be so bad (it still is though!) in a public sector company but sudden death if you going in to financial's or something similar.

See if that throws up any insights and post what you found out and lets see if we can help further.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 18 November 2009, 17:48.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Do remember that you should be selling yourself in an interview. Never say anything that could be used against you. You need to make them think that you are a low risk hire. Interviews are increasingly like theatre, learn your lines, deliver them with pretend sincerity and accept the plaudits.
            Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

One of the problems in the current market is that there are plenty of experienced people out there looking. So rather than being a shoe in for a role as in the good times you are up against some good uns who in some cases can also talk the talk. Keep plugging away !

Comment

In my last permy job, one of the group managers did a telephone interview with a bloke for a job.

When asked "What would you say is your biggest weakness"... the chap answered "well, sometimes I am a bit lazy!.

true story.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  In my last permy job, one of the group managers did a telephone interview with a bloke for a job.

When asked "What would you say is your biggest weakness"... the chap answered "well, sometimes I am a bit lazy!.

true story.
                  I went for a permie interview with a car company. They gave me the "What would you say is your biggest weakness is?" question and I replied "can never manage to get out of bed in the morning".

Then i saw the HR lass actually write that down, nooooooooo.

Comment

Originally posted by northernrampage View Post
                    I'm not great at interviews, however now had 6, and slowly improving. But feedback I've had from some is that I'm "nice" and "sociable", and "honest".
                    Practice. Get colleagues / family friends etc. (as long as they are professional) to stage a mock interview with you. Best if they are people that you don't know, so it is reasonably close to an interview as you can get.

For those who do interviews is this just code-words for: you are like an Andrex puppy and we'd much rather have someone with a bit of oomph?
                    I think it depends on the role that you are going for. There is certainly nothing wrong with honest as feedback. However, the other words do seem to give the impression that they found out little about your skills and whether you were appropriate for the job or not.

For one contract I was asked "what would your colleagues think of you?". I said "laid-back but I can be to the point". They fedback to the agent that they didn't think I could cope as I described myself as laid-back and it was a pressurised environment. Worrying I'm shooting myself in the foot every time I open my mouth.
                    Oh dear. Others have said it, so I won't, but don't make that mistake again. Trustworthy, capable, reliable, sound, intelligent, versatile, skilled, practical, open, honest, sociable, dependable, someone who thinks 'outside the box' (throw in some management BS if it seems appropriate).

To be honest, this is a fairly standard interview type question, and you should be prepared for it. At least you will be for the next one.

I've had a year and a half out which doesn't help, would you even bother to interview people if you thought this would matter? Or is it more likely they haven't noticed the dates?
                    To some, it would matter; to others it would not. How are you describing the time off on your CV? Is it being mentioned at interview - if so, how are you describing that time? If it isn't being mentioned, think about how you would answer the question - get yourself prepared about what you need to say.

Trying to stay optimistic, but if anyone has any interview tips would be great. Or any stories of getting a job after countless interviews.
                    It's a tough time out there, to be honest. You've got to stay positive, and work on the interview skills. Before this downturn, I had a 100% success rate for interviews (permie, contract, graduate jobs, industrial placement as part of Uni degree). Longest time out of work - 5 weeks or so.

Now, we're nearly at three months. Had four good interviews, but no offers so far, before this week. Had two interviews this week that seem quite positive, though. Now isn't the ideal time to be looking, but there is work out there - you just need to sell yourself.

And the best of luck with it.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X