• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I have the clients number and I'm tempted to use it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Did you Do?

Please let us know what you decided to do?

Comment

Hi

Seriously thanks so much for your advice. A quick update.

I spoke the agent and told him I was $%$$% off that I still had no response from the client and I had no email reponse from him. He apologised (who knew an agent who could knew what the word 'sorry' meant!), he said that he had been constantly calling her and he found out that she had the flu, but he was informed she would be back to work on Thursday and would get back to me.

Last thursday I received a call from the agent and he sounded rather annoyed and informed me that the client thought:

i was great *yawn heard that before*
      really liked me *ditto above*
      I was their first choice for the role *hello.. do we have an echo in here*

But he said she 'wanted to interivew more people' and he should have a reponse in the next week or 2 weeks. He basically told me the he said to the client they were looking for something 'that didn't exist' and they could end up losing a good candidate.

I have to admit that even cynical old me believed him, and i told him I was pretty ££$£%$$$% off about all this time wasting - there wasn't anything he could say. He told me I could be waiting forever and to review other options.

Suffice to say I have interview with another organsiation and it got me thinking if I would could use to my advantage with the EU client.

I am wondering what's the best way to do this? Any suggestions?
      Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 21 October 2009, 16:07.

Comment

When you're offered the other contract, you contact the first client and tell them you've had an offer, and if they haven't got a contract for by the end of the day, you'll be reluctantly forced to take the other.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Phone the client. I have done this several times, and every time it has been a failure of the agency to properly contact the candidate with the unhappy news.

So, once you find out the agency is at fault - take off and nuke the entire site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by strawberrysmoothie View Post
            Hi

Seriously thanks so much for your advice. A quick update.

I spoke the agent and told him I was $%$$% off that I still had no response from the client and I had no email reponse from him. He apologised (who knew an agent who could knew what the word 'sorry' meant!), he said that he had been constantly calling her and he found out that she had the flu, but he was informed she would be back to work on Thursday and would get back to me.
            etc. etc. The usual story.

I have never - repeat, never - not heard the same or next day that I have got a contract. Any more than that and it's not happening.

If you believe agents, hiring managers have around 300 days of leave a year and are all incredibly sickly. The number that go on leave immediately after giving interviews, or spend whole months off ill, is truly astonishing. If you believe agents.

Sorry to say chap, this one's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
              etc. etc. The usual story.

I have never - repeat, never - not heard the same or next day that I have got a contract. Any more than that and it's not happening.

If you believe agents, hiring managers have around 300 days of leave a year and are all incredibly sickly. The number that go on leave immediately after giving interviews, or spend whole months off ill, is truly astonishing. If you believe agents.

Sorry to say chap, this one's gone.
              Back in 2006 when I was getting my first contract I was in the predicament that the agency were impossible to get hold of after a successful interview.
              I called the client and they told me that they had gone for someone who was the same skill level/experience as me but a lot more local (I was a 90 minute drive away) and were suprised and embarrased that the agency hadn't told me.
              2 days later the agency calls me, I had the gig.

First day on the contract I asked what happened to the other guy, turns out there had been some "contractual difficulties" and so they got me instead.
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

I agree, if you haven't heard within a couple of hours, the odds of you getting the gig are diminishing by the minute. One exception for me though was when I got a gig after 6 weeks of silence, cos they couldn't get anyone cheaper who could do the job.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Update:

I took all your brilliant advice to heart and decided to stop wasting my time with this client. When it comes down to it their words mean nothing.

The following monday I applied for a role. I spoke to agent on tuesday afternoon the client agreed to interview me a week later and was offered the role yesterday *subject to contract of course*

Swings and roundabouts in this business.
                  Last edited by strawberrysmoothie; 3 November 2009, 11:11.

Comment

congrats!!!!

Well Done....

What line of IT are you in?

Comment

cheers mate. I'm in Telecoms

Comment

Working...
                      X